ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Beautiful Code: In your opinion, what makes code Beautiful?

<< < (4/4)

ewemoa:
On the other hand, we get ever wider screens ;)
-phitsc (March 18, 2009, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons I indent only 2 spaces and try to have shorter variable names -- fitting things in 80 cols is tough sometimes...

I'm thinking of experimenting w/ using CJK characters for identifiers (at least you can do this in some programming languages) -- meaningful names (at least to those who can read them) that don't take up so much space!  I guess it's not so likely to catch on...may be the following will some day:

http://www.mediaglyphs.org/mg/index.eng.shtml

Not?

Edit: Ah, sorry, should have started the post saying something about digressing :)

f0dder:
Wide lines take longer to read than short ones - you spend too much time re-sync'ing when you progress to the next line. The additional vertical space that widescreen monitors offer is better used on stuff like IDE toolbars, imo.

On the other hand, too short identifiers make code cryptic to read, and this is a problem you often see in *u*x source. On the other end of the spectrum we have Windows' VeryLongFunctionNamesThatAreSometimesOverTheTop(), along with sometimes insanely long argument lists - that's not win either.

If you need two-space tab, you should probably refactor your code :P

Non-english characters (heck, even language) in source code? Don't even get me started :P

Eóin:
Coming from my math background I'd actually always wished you could use Greek characters in source code.

But as time goes by that idea seems less and less sensible :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version