topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 11:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Opera Widget Editor  (Read 4748 times)

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Opera Widget Editor
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:44 PM »
Opera 9.x supports something called widgets which can be very handy. It is possible to create your own widgets which consist of some kind of .html file, a .css file and a config file all stored inside a zip file with extension renamed to .wdgt.

The process seems rather daunting (at least to a novice like me) because one has to compose the source files with a text editor and then zip them and finally rename the zip file. Anticipating a lot of edit and test cycles I'd like a streamlined process to accomplish this.

I have in mind a program that will treat a zipped .wdgt file as an ordinary folder/directory allowing one to directly edit the contents of the files contained therein, create new files and remove them.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Opera Widget Editor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30 AM »
I can see how this would potentially be handy, but--really widget crafting isn't any more difficult than making a web page.  Little xhtml, little css, little javascript, some xml -- and zip her up.  Keeping the files together is the lesser evil; the real catch is being sufficiently fluent in the languages used in order to make a decent widget.

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:18 AM »
the real catch is being sufficiently fluent in the languages used in order to make a decent widget.

Certainly. That's why I'd like to be able to focus on the programming without the impediment of zip file calisthenics every edit-compile-run cycle.

kmarius

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Couldnt you just make a .bat file to zip the files in a directory and rename it to .wdgt