ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Some laser printers are as danagerous as cigarette smoking...

(1/2) > >>

cthorpe:

A group of researchers have concluded that some laser printers emit dangerous particles when used.  These particles are similar to those that are found in cigarette smoke.  One printer tested actually releases particles at a level similar to what you would get by actually smoking, so it would seem that laser printers may be as hazardous to your health.  There is a post about the study on CyberNet News at http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2007/08/01/a-laser-printer-as-harmful-as-cigarette-smoking, and it was initially reported by VNUNet.com (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195345/laser-printers-seriously-damage).

Of the 62 printers tested, only 17 emitted particles that may be hazardous to your health.  The article was published by the American Chemical Society, and is not publically accessible at this time.  If you can access their online article repository, you can read the whole thing (see the article citation at the end of this post).  The university that my wife attends has a subscription, so I was able to read the study.  Most of the article is pretty hard to follow, but here is the list of tested printers and the results:

No emissions

* HP

* Color LaserJet 450DN and 8500DN
* LaserJet 2200DN, 2300dtn, 4 plus, 4000N, 4000TN, 4050N, 4050TN, 4si, 5(b), 5000n, 5100tn, 5N, 5si, 5si/NX, 8000DN, 8150DN
* Mita

* DC 4060
* RICOH

* Afico 2022, 3045, 3245C, CC3000DN
* Toshiba

* Studio 350
Low level emissions

* Canon

* IRC6800
* HP

* LaserJet 5M and 9000dn
* Ricoh

* CL3000DN
Mid-range emissions

* HP

* LaserJet 1020 and 4200dtn
High emissions

* HP

* Color LaserJet 4650dn, 5550dtn, 8550N
* LaserJet 1320N, 1320n, 2420dn, 4200dtn (possible), 4250, 5(a), 8000DN (possible), and 8150N   
* Toshiba

* Studio 450
Of the high emission printers, the HP LaserJet 1320N is the worst with emissions close to cigarette smoking.

(all data from  He, C., Morawska, L., and Taplin, L. "Particle Emission Characteristics of Office Printers." Environ. Sci. Technol., 2007,  10.1021/es063049z)

tomos:
nothing from brother included there, that could be good or bad..

someone was telling me they saw a programme on the tele here about it.
They were saying it was very bad to sleep in the same room as a laser printer -
presumably one that emits these dodgy particles..
..which made me wonder are they even dodgy if you dont use them much  :tellme:

mouser:
which made me wonder are they even dodgy if you dont use them much
--- End quote ---
good question. id like to know that answer too.

mouser:
ps. the original article was first described here and then picked up by cybernet: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195345/laser-printers-seriously-damage

tomos:
which made me wonder are they even dodgy if you dont use them much
--- End quote ---
good question. id like to know that answer too.
-mouser (August 02, 2007, 02:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

from the vnunet article
The study found that indoor particle levels in the office air increased fivefold during work hours due to printer use. Printers emitted more particles when operating with new toner cartridges and when printing graphics and images that require greater quantities of toner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version