ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Site of the Month for August 2007: NirSoft.net

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Our site of the month for August is one that has been mentioned many times on our forum, but is long overdue for some official accolades and recognition from us: NirSoft.net:

In July of 2006, Microsoft aquired the SysInternals team who had demonstrated incredible knowledge of Windows with their small freeware utilities.  It's been over a year since then and Microsoft should get on a phone to the NirSoft folks and make them a similar offer.

NirSoft is doing amazing work.  Their power utilities for windows reach into the very guts of the operating system and do things no other utilities can do.  And they are all free.  Our only warning is that you please don't visit their site unless you have some serious time to kill.  If you are one of those people who love to use programs that let you see what is really happening behind the scenes on your computer, a visit to the NirSoft site is going to be a bit like getting a visit from santa claus on crack.

Some of the tools NirSoft makes are completely unique and wonderfully surprising.  Some of our favorites include:

* OfficeIns, a tool for viewing and disabling Microsoft Office Add-Ins
* ZipInstaller, an ingenius tool for "installing" programs that are packaged in zip files without their own installers
* ShellExView, a tool for viewing and managing file shell extensions
* ShellMenuView, for investigating and managing the right-click menu items in your system
* Volumouse, a tool for controlling your sound volume using the mouse wheel
* NirCmd, a great commandline tool that can do all sorts of useful things like shutting down windows, changeing sound volume, etc., (very useful for calling from other tool (we use it in FARR)
* SmartSniff, a tool for reconstructing network traffic conversations
* And their newest utility, GDIView, which lists GDI resources in use.
They also have a ton of password recovery tools, browser investigation tools, and much more.

Rarely if ever has a collection of such powerful utilities for Windows been gathered together in one place.  And they are free! Unbelievable. What can we say besides Bravo to NirSoft, we salute you.</p>

Archive of past site-of-the-month winners: https://www.donationcoder.com/Links

Perry Mowbray:
Hear Hear!!

Actually, just noticed SysExporter... is that new?? Have not noticed it before and I'm a fairly regular visitor  :-*

Sounds great though: a perfect companion to ScreenShotCaptor  :) to scrape the text from inside windows.

Update: Works Great!! Except ThunderBird wasn't captured  :-\

zridling:
Gotta admit, over the years, NirSoft utilities have pulled me from the fire more than once. Great post, he deserves recognition.

TucknDar:
Excellent choice! there are some truly brilliant utilities to be found! Well deserved :up: :up:

J-Mac:
mouser - or anyone...

Before I even try to download some of the Nirsoft programs, I am trying to think of a way to be able to not only use, but even download the password recovery applications without NOD32 grabbing them immediately and locking them up tight. I recently gave up on one of PC Magazine's latest utilities because before it could rename a temp file it creates NOD32 would grab that file and declare it a "possible threat" based on heurisitics alone. I kept restoring it but NOD32 kept grabbing it. Even shutting down NOD32 doesn't help -- it keeps an eye on things and as soon as it is active again it would find and grab that file no matter where I hid it nor what I renamed it to!!

How are some of you able to download and use such programs?

Thank you!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version