topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win-Get: Anyone tried this?  (Read 4879 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win-Get: Anyone tried this?
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:27 AM »
Anybody had a look at Win-Get?

Screenshot - 1_08_2007 , 11_24_54 PM.pngWin-Get: Anyone tried this?

This seems to work on keeping a repository of links, and has quite a few in its database:
Screenshot - 1_08_2007 , 11_27_01 PM.pngWin-Get: Anyone tried this?

This is different to how our DC Updater works, also I think it's just a command-line at the moment??

Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database? Would mean that DCUpdater wouldn't need the xml file on the Author's site? I'm not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent?? I also don't know if nearly 200 apps is a carrot (for DCUpdater) or not?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:36 AM by Perry Mowbray »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win-Get: Anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database?
extremely possible.

Justice has been investigating these kinds of programs, and he and i are going to work together to identify the best features of these tools.

And my current plan is to try to make dcupdater (or a close relative of it) be able to read as many of these kinds of database formats as possible so it can be compatible.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database?
extremely possible.

Justice has been investigating these kinds of programs, and he and i are going to work together to identify the best features of these tools.

Sounds great!

And my current plan is to try to make dcupdater (or a close relative of it) be able to read as many of these kinds of database formats as possible so it can be compatible.

Hmmm: that sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like a plug-in engine or configuration wizard to allow the user to hook into a new source?... I guess that the currency of the links is always going to be the issue. Browsing the Win-Get Repository it looks like some of the files are a little out of date. I guess that's where if the link points back to the actual author then it's one less thing for the software developer to worry about?

I always thought that a repository should endeavor to, or provide the tools, to help keep the links/versions current. A PAD file database, for example, would be doing a lot of link checking if it was going to regularly check tens-of-thousands of PAD files!!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31 AM »
If you got that from the lifehacker article, in the comments are another few similar apps I will be looking at for mouser.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:42 AM »
If you got that from the lifehacker article, in the comments are another few similar apps I will be looking at for mouser.

No I didn't, but thanks for the link!

There is a lot of room for improvement here in the Windows world! Everyone seems to have a slightly different method of implementation (personally I like the PAD option); I've got to agree with you two though, that a great niche is to not re-invent the wheel but be able to use what's in existence.

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Hmm it reminds me of Ubuntu's "apt-get install nameofprogram". And it basically checks it from the list of repositories at /etc/apt/sources.list (sad that I have these memories now isn't it).

Would be cool if you could add links for it to check. But that would require software companies and individuals to actually have a standard way of storing their newest files.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Hmm it reminds me of Ubuntu's "apt-get install nameofprogram". And it basically checks it from the list of repositories at /etc/apt/sources.list (sad that I have these memories now isn't it).

win-get is an automated install system and software repository for Microsoft Windows. The ideas for its creation come from apt-get and other related tools for the *nix platforms.
-SourceForge

Would be cool if you could add links for it to check. But that would require software companies and individuals to actually have a standard way of storing their newest files.

You mean to the Repository? You can do that here.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:34 AM by Perry Mowbray »

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to read the article yet (had to pick up some food). But that's cool. I think I'll download this and give it a spin for my Windows installations.