ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win-Get: Anyone tried this?

(1/2) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Anybody had a look at Win-Get?

This seems to work on keeping a repository of links, and has quite a few in its database:

This is different to how our DC Updater works, also I think it's just a command-line at the moment??

Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database? Would mean that DCUpdater wouldn't need the xml file on the Author's site? I'm not sure if that's good, bad or indifferent?? I also don't know if nearly 200 apps is a carrot (for DCUpdater) or not?

mouser:
Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database?
--- End quote ---
extremely possible.

Justice has been investigating these kinds of programs, and he and i are going to work together to identify the best features of these tools.

And my current plan is to try to make dcupdater (or a close relative of it) be able to read as many of these kinds of database formats as possible so it can be compatible.

Perry Mowbray:
Is it possible that DCUpdater could use it's database?
--- End quote ---
extremely possible.

Justice has been investigating these kinds of programs, and he and i are going to work together to identify the best features of these tools.-mouser (August 01, 2007, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds great!

And my current plan is to try to make dcupdater (or a close relative of it) be able to read as many of these kinds of database formats as possible so it can be compatible.-mouser (August 01, 2007, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm: that sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like a plug-in engine or configuration wizard to allow the user to hook into a new source?... I guess that the currency of the links is always going to be the issue. Browsing the Win-Get Repository it looks like some of the files are a little out of date. I guess that's where if the link points back to the actual author then it's one less thing for the software developer to worry about?

I always thought that a repository should endeavor to, or provide the tools, to help keep the links/versions current. A PAD file database, for example, would be doing a lot of link checking if it was going to regularly check tens-of-thousands of PAD files!!

justice:
If you got that from the lifehacker article, in the comments are another few similar apps I will be looking at for mouser.

Perry Mowbray:
If you got that from the lifehacker article, in the comments are another few similar apps I will be looking at for mouser.
-justice (August 01, 2007, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

No I didn't, but thanks for the link!

There is a lot of room for improvement here in the Windows world! Everyone seems to have a slightly different method of implementation (personally I like the PAD option); I've got to agree with you two though, that a great niche is to not re-invent the wheel but be able to use what's in existence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version