topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Consistent favourite folder access- wow- that was hard! Office->Directory Opus  (Read 24677 times)

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, all I wanted was a consistent way of going to favourite folders with

Directory Opus, Foxit Reader, Office, explorer, wordpad and notepad,
(maybe Winrar is hard as one program mentions it).

It took me a couple of days looking around and trying about 12 programs to find a consistent colution (I think). A year or two back I started here, and have used Filebox Extender. But hey, it doesn't work with Wordpad or Foxit Reader - no extra buttons. Context menu extensions CFI Shelltoys and Regtoy have 'Goto Folder'- but these behave differently in different contexts; for example, Directory Opus allows Regtoy on right click on a blank pane area, but not Shelltoys.

The top two came out as
Chameleon Folder (www.neosofts.com) and Autodialogs (www.metaproducts.com).

Of these, inconsistency in displaying the extra button on Foxit Reader's open-save dialog box won the day for Chameleon.

One minor bug in Chameleon is in configuring the submenus and folders to display correctly- it seems to need one folder between submenus. (There's no separator).

Chameleon works with Directory Opus, Office, Wordpad, Notepad, Foxit Reader, Explorer, Winrar.

Programs I tried included:
Fast Folders, ABF Favourite folders, Folder Jockey, Shelltoys, Regtoy, Fast Directories, Quick Folders, PS Hot Folders, Access Folders. Folder Express. (DM2 admittely doesn't yet support Office).

Direct Folders for some reason did nothing, while Folder Express and Xfolderdialog installed but their trial had already expired.

Well, I hope that saves someone a lot of time!

David L.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the report David -- I was just about to recommend the now free Filebox Extender, but I see you reported trying that above and it not working.  So the report is quite useful  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
filebox extender doesnt work with nero either BTW (for me anyway)
Tom

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I use (a slightly modified version of) this ahk script and i'm quite happy with it.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor correction:  The correct link for Chameleon Folder is http://www.neosoft-tools.com/

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops, sorry about that- thanks, mwb100. :D
Yes, a shame about Filebox extender not working in all cases, glad that was some help, mouser.
Will have a look at the script.

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chameleon Folder vs ahk script
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:34 PM »
Comparison of Foldermenu script and Chameleon Folder

Summary: Chameleon Folder works the way I want with Directory Opus (except middle click invocation is not supported) and adds recent files & folders. :up:
Neither work properly with Winrar 'Extract to' (minor issue)

(Note: I have Directory Opus as my explorer replacement)

Similar behaviour
1. Both program's middle click menu works with Wordpad, Notepad, Foxit Reader, Word.
2. Neither program supports middle click in Dopus :-[
3. List of favourites from the system tray icon: both programs invoke a new Directory Opus lister, rather than changing the path in the current dialog box or pane.

Different behavour
1. Hotkey menu: Using the hotkey combination to show the faourites list:
Chameleon Folder - changes to the new location. Does not create a new lister. (Exception below)
-but-
Foldermenu always opens a new Directory Opus lister. Even if a lister pane is in focus, a new lister is invoked.
That's definitely not what I'm looking for, especially with Dopus. :down:

2. WinRar 'Extract to'
Chameleon Folder - Middle click doesn't work. Hotkey favourite creates a new Dopus lister!
Note: Help claims "Support of WinRar and WinZip Extract dialog boxes". :-[
-but-
Foldermenu - selecting a favourite immediately starts the extraction. So it integrates with 'Extract to' but it's not the best idea to start the extraction as soon as you click the favourite.

Other differences
Chameleon Folder adds
   recent files/folders - user limited length;
   filters;
   other ways of invoking the favourites list which can be differentiated between desktop, IE and explorer;
   backup configuration

Foldermenu script - free! Chameleon Folder is not.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dalchina; have you seen Flash Folder
here
https://www.donation...26.msg70304#msg70304
& here
http://zett42.de/flashfolder/?page_id=3

how does it (Chameleon) integrate with DOpus?
Is it that you call it up with a hotkey & then selected folder opens in opus?
Tom

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, Tomos. I had a look at the site (http://zett42.de/flashfolder/?page_id=3) for Flash Folder, but maybe 42 isn't the answer to the universe and everything for me (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)-
a. it's beta- author warns appropriately
b. it's described as only adding the bar to (most) open/save dialogues.
c. The bar takes up extra screen real estate

I wanted integration with an explorer or DOpus window too, and pops up when I want the options.

Invoking Chameleon Folder in Dopus
Yes, you need to hit a key combination to display Chameleon's favourites menu in DOpus.
I've attached a screen shot Chameleon Folders.jpgConsistent favourite folder access- wow- that was hard! Office->Directory Opus the top left of Chameleon's favourites box is where the mouse pointer was when I hit WIN Z to have the Chameleon folder list displayed.

(Sadly DOpus seems different to most apps in the restrictions it places on middle click and right click options, and as I said, middle click in DOpus doesn't invoke Chameleon folders. Likewise the odd thing is some apps context entries do appear with DOpus's own when you right click in a blank DOpus pane, some don't. As I'm new to DOpus, there may be some way round that, but I can't see anything yet in preferences- will ask them a question- it's a complex thing 'under the hood'. But that's a different topic- sorry!).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for that preview Dalchina, looks good,
personally I'd prefer a shortcut key to a middle click but that just preferences
so I would be quite happy with that.

Okay, maybe you know all this:
There is a setting in DOpus
Settings > preferences > miscellaneous > windows integration >
which allows you to hide "Windows Items on context menu" -
if thats selected you just get Dopus approved list (which you can add to somewhere - but god knows where..)
ah, yes, under:
Settings > File Types > [choose, e.g. all files] > Edit > Context Menu Tab
but I've not used that much
Tom

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Tomos, yep, already checked that- a DOpus staff member suggested it, but the non-response to middle click is now an admitted omission in DOpus by comparison with explorer. They may consider looking at it.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...A year or two back I started here, and have used Filebox Extender. But hey, it doesn't work with Wordpad or Foxit Reader - no extra buttons. ...

but works well with the shorctut keys no problem!
so for the keyboard savvy people, FBE is still a great choice!
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

dalchina

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Vixay, On my PC (XP Pro), FileBox Extender does absolutely nothing with the open dialogue boxes for Wordpad, Notepad or Foxit Reader. (I just tried the 'save as' box for Wordpad too).

To be very specific:
a. There is neither a Favorites or Recent Folders  FileBox Extender button on these dialogs.  :down:
b. There is nil response to a 'hot key' from FileBox Extender in these cases. (That only seems to work when the button is also displayed).  :down:
c. The rollup and 'on top' buttons can be displayed.

If you are seeing something different, do tell me / us!

I'm afraid it's not simply a question of being or not being keyboard savvy- it just does zilch in these cases (for me).

By comparison
Chameleon Folder's menu can be invoked in the open dialogue boxes for Wordpad, Notepad or Foxit Reader by
a. middle click in the box
b. right click on the ? button
c. a hot key.  ;D

The main one it's not so good at integrating with is Directory Opus.  :-[

David L.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Vixay, On my PC (XP Pro), FileBox Extender does absolutely nothing with the open dialogue boxes for Wordpad, Notepad or Foxit Reader. (I just tried the 'save as' box for Wordpad too).

To be very specific:
a. There is neither a Favorites or Recent Folders  FileBox Extender button on these dialogs.  :down:
b. There is nil response to a 'hot key' from FileBox Extender in these cases. (That only seems to work when the button is also displayed).  :down:
c. The rollup and 'on top' buttons can be displayed.

If you are seeing something different, do tell me / us!

I'm afraid it's not simply a question of being or not being keyboard savvy- it just does zilch in these cases (for me).

...[snip]...

The main one it's not so good at integrating with is Directory Opus.  :-[

David L.

a) Correct. I don't see icons either, that's coz i'm using windowblinds... so i don't mind
b) Works for me. See attached screenshots.
c) didn't bother to check, don't use em.

Clicking on any of those menus, works for me, no problem. It changes to the correct folder.
I'm using WinXP Home... (pro should be the same).

I'm just trying to inform other users the FBE might still be a viable option for them. Since in my use i haven't had any problems with it so far. I mainly use it to change folders in dialog boxes, and windows... in dopus i use dopus itself (or just have lots of tabs open!) :)

"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me