ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new PC options:-

<< < (9/11) > >>

Lashiec:
Ah, no, I was talking about the OCZ one, which ran at 800 Mhz versus the Kingston Value RAM, who runs at 667 Mhz. OK, it's not cheaper, but the OCZ it's only 2 € more.

wreckedcarrz, could be because of the PSU, that wasn't performing as expected. To tell you the truth, it's the first I hear this "Mad Dog Multimedia" brand. I heard about Ultra X before, though, a bit too modding for me.

f0dder:
As long a voltage requirements are met and you stick with the right type (ie, DDR-2 vs DDR-1), there shouldn't be problems with sticking a "too fast" stick in a motherboard that can only handle slower, the memory will just run at what the motherboard supports (and will be easier to overclock, if you're into that kind of thing).

I've seen DDR2-800 cheaper than DDR2-667, probably because it doesn't make sense to keep manufacturing DDR2-667 since the faster versions can fit in older motherboards as well... which would cause prices for DDR2-667 to rise as supply runs out. Such are the rules of a market economy, I guess :)

Btw it does sound like your store has a rather limited amount of options... check out www.shg.dk , to see what a standard online shop in .dk has (yeah, it's in Danish, but you should be able to navigate... and admitted, it's one of the better shops.)

tomos:
hah!
forgot ye voted against the euro

looks good - much easier to navigate as well,
but the shop here does actually have a very good selection - unfortunately they sort by brand rather than size..
and as I say, it's catering to gamers -

the OCZ gets v.good reviews too
goes from 1.9 to 2.2V
supposed to be best @ 2.0V

I think I'll go with the Kingston though  :)

tomos:
Hah - the saga continues!
Tried unsuccessfully to order that PC a few times - (they were out of this or that or the site too busy to navigate properly)

Meanwhile someone recommended a much cheaper site with better system for configuring (if you choose cpu it shows you only compatible mobos, etc. etc.)

So I have a new config. I'm happy with everything - just unsure about graphic card -
I did decide to get a cheap one. (40 to 50euro)

I've heard Graphic cards can be pretty loud -
the rest of the machine is hopefully fairly quiet!
For that price I could get a passively cooled 128MB, or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Would 128MB dedicated card be as good/better than 256MB on board?
(unfortunately they dont offer passively cooled 256MB card in this price range)
Or, of course I could get a 256MB card

Here's the possible list:
Asus gf-7100gs silent, 128mb, nvidia 7100gs, pcie
36,50 €     EDIT: thats the passively cooled one

Club3d x1550, 256mb, ati radeon x1550, pci-express
40,35 €

Club3d 7300le nvidia 7300le, 128mb, pcie
41,68 €

Xfx geforce 8400gs 256mb ddr3, pci-express
43,50 €

Asus gf-7300gs td, 256mb, nvidia 7300gs, pci-express
46,60 €

Gigabyte gv-nx73g128d nvidia 7300gs, 128mb, pcie
49,72 €-
Again any recommendations/opinions much appreciated,
tom

EDITED see list

f0dder:
I'd go with an nvidia card instead of ATI - they tend (these days, GeForceFX series was a bad exception ;) ) to be a bit more quiet than ATI, and I have better experience with NV drivers. Iirc you stated you aren't going to be gaming on the system, so just about anything should do (unless you want to watch HD-DVD or BluRay stuff).

Funny that a 8400gs is cheaper than 7300gs :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version