ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Show number of characters as I type in email

(1/11) > >>

IconBoy:
Sometimes I need to send an email which comes to my phone as an SMS. It would be handy to know when I have reached the 160 character limit as I type in real-time or even if I paste. Does anyone have an idea how this can be done and only show when I use Outlook Express (or Outlook) or when I use IE or FF for example. I don't need it when I am typing in Notepad.
Thanks

mouser:
one of the features of my program Clipboard Help+Spell is a hotkey that will count the characters selected:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/clipboardhelpandspell/index.html

The program is a bit overkill for what you want though..

Nod5:
IconBoy: since you talked about OutlookExpress I assume that's what you'd like to se a character count for in this thread also. I tried making a small AHK script that grabs the text from the new message window but I didn't get the preferred method to work (that is, this did not work: ControlGetText, some_output_variable_name, Internet Explorer_Server1, ahk_class ATH_Note ). I think it has to do with the type of control that the new message window is. Without finding a way to work on that control directly I can only think of quite messy ways to count the characters through AHK. For example: send ctrl+A (select all) and ctrl+C (copy) to the text, count the number of copied characters and tell you the result. Like this, assuming that the email input box in the new message window has focus:

--- ---F7::
xvar2=
TrayTip
sendinput ^a
sleep 100
sendinput ^c
StringLen, xvar2, clipboard
TrayTip,, string length = %xvar2%,2
sendinput {end}
return
Drawbacks with that: 1. requires manual input (pressing F7 above, or some other hotkey) since letting the script autorun repeatedly would prevent the user from adding text due to the select all step (ctrl+a), 2. the text selection is noticeable and so visually disturbing and 3. the current input prompt position is lost due to the select all step.

Still, that kind of character counting on hotkey press might be enough in some situations perhaps?

IconBoy:
Thanks for your input. I was really hoping for real-time counting as I type. Perhaps someone who is way more clued up on programming/scripting could get a bright idea! :tellme:

app103:
In my signature is a blue banner for the Donation Coder Whatpulse team. They have a key counter application (not a key logger!) that you can send a pulse to clear it before you begin your email, keep the 'geek dialog' window open, and observe the key count it displays.

It will not count characters you paste, and it will count backspaces as key strokes. Not a perfect solution, but it is an option.

Plus you'd be contributing to the team's scores.  ;)

screenshot explainedkc = key count
mc = mouse clicks
tkc = total key count
tmc = total mouse clicks
rank = my position rank on the whatpulse site
klp = keys last pulse (when i cleared it by sending my totals in to the site)
miles moved = miles I have moved my mouse

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version