ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help! - serious weirdness

(1/3) > >>

m_s:
Suddenly this evening my computer has started doing something very strange.  While working in Word, my girlfriend highlighted a large block of text, moving the mouse down to expand the selection; at a certain point, the machine blinks off - powers down.  It's repeatable: I've done it three times to try to see what was happening, but I can't figure it out...  I had a similar problem with Picasa, which actually made me stop using it, though I like the program a lot: as it scanned through my images as it started up, the computer would suddenly shut down.  In 25 years of working with computers, I've never seen anything like this before... 

I run a 2.66gHz HP Pavilion ZD7010 laptop, with 768meg ram.  I have various programs running in the background, including: NOD32, Outpost Pro, RegDefend, TrojanHunter, WindowBlinds, ObjectDock, WindowFX, TopDesk, Google Desktop, AdMuncher, The Bat!, CalendarScope, WinPatrol, ProcessTamer, Konfabulator, MS Antispyware.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?  Do any of the programs listed above suggest areas for me to investigate?

Thanks for any help...

jpfx:
Sounds like a corrupt file, maybe cross-linked with something that can bring the system down. Outside of Word, copy the file to another location, don't move it because that will only update the links. Delete all temp files, scan for errors and reboot. If the the file still causes the problem then dump the file or fix it using some sort of disk doctor.
I've also seen memory faults cause this sort of behaviour to the point where doing the same thing causes the error. Worst case scenario is hdd or memory, but it's probably the file that is bad.

Carol Haynes:
I have come across this sort of behaviour before and found it was video driver issues. It could be something has corrupted so try installing the latest video and sound drivers for a start.

Veign:
Strangly enough it could be Print drivers also.  Most things that occur in Word happen in conjunction with the print drivers.  I had a client who had an issue with Word and it was escalated within MS and found to be a printer driver issue - very weird and seemingless no connected to the problem...

Wish I could find the document I had where MS talks about Words heavy connection to the print drivers when working with a document.

mouser:
i'd put video drivers and memory problems at top of the list of potential culprits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version