topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ODF — the inevitable format?  (Read 4654 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ODF — the inevitable format?
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:11 PM »
[via Bob Sutor]:

ODF icons
ODF-icons01.png

From Red Hat Magazine:
Conceived as an open alternative to the proprietary document handling software, which then dominated the world, the driving force behind the ODF was the need for a vendor-neutral document format independent of any single application, readable and writable for all, without any royalty of licensing "encumbrances." It was promoted on the basis that business and taxpayers would save money. An open format would create competition in the document application sphere. All documents could be read and shared by everyone. Nothing could be lost to time or changes in proprietary code or licensing requirements. Matters of great public interest — census data, weather data, public health statistics, investigative reports, court records and basic scientific research, all paid for by taxpayers, would no longer be encoded on a single, proprietary closed-standard format, requiring citizens to pay twice for access to their own information. Using ODF, proponents said, would keep public documents public. — T. Colin Dodd

ODFLogo1.png
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:26 PM by zridling »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ODF — the inevitable format?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:17 AM »
I don't think ODF is the be-all-end-all format, but I sure hope it'll be accepted and OOXML will be dumped, on the simple grounds that the OOXML specs are too long and complex and flawed.

Both formats seem to be pretty much XML memory dumps of internal structures, rather than well planned and 'interchange friendly' documents, though. And XML formats, while nice for interchange, are retarded as main-use format.
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I read this, Crushed by the Wheels of Industry, blog from Jeremy Allison recently. We all know Microsoft wants us to get locked into their products but here is an example of a very extreme approach they have taken.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Sadly, and predictably, Microsoft has taken the political and marketing route for MS-OOXML on the road to ISO, having lost on the technical and logical grounds. This is supported by the fact that they now are playing procedural games and looking for loopholes in the ISO process. The recent attempt to try to get people to vote "YES with comments" is an example. That's similar to an american politician voting yes for war before returning later to vote against it. By the time you do that, you're already owned.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Choice is not Mine
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20 AM »
Being a linux-only guy I cannot choose between ODF and OOXML. It doesn't hurt me one bit though: I haven't used a word processor in over a year. I write most of my documents in textile markup and convert is as needed. I don't know if I will be able to convert to .odf though...