ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best search and replace software discussion

<< < (2/10) > >>

allen:
PowerGrep is powerful beyond belief--but you pay for it accordingly.  The power and control available when using it is unmatched--and boasts a comprehensive system of backing up/rolling back changes.  I doubt there's anything out there that can do more or as well so intuitively.  Like I said, though--doesn't come cheap. (149 USD)

PowerGrep (Or if you want to pat me on the back, there's a link in my signature with my referrel code).  But, of course, I praise because I love not because there is a referrel program :D

My favorite feature(s) would have to be its ability to perform additional regex on matches (regex within a match) -- use it all the time, first capturing a block of [something], performing actions within that, then moving onto the next, repeat. Prior to PowerGrep, I spent a lot of time writing scripts to perform that kind of functionality. 

Copied from features page:

Apply any number of search terms of regular expressions sequentially or concurrently. Complex search and replace operations often require multiple steps. Use PowerGREP to execute as many steps as you want in a single operation. Run the steps concurrently (search matches won't overlap), or sequentially (replacements cascade onto the following steps). Save all steps into a single PowerGREP Action for instant reuse.

Similarly, while searching or collecting data, use a list of search terms or regular expressions to find files matching different criteria, or to extract disparate information from each file.
--- End quote ---

Edit: attached a couple images--the first is a search library that emulates syntax markup from a wiki script.  The second are the results displayed.

tinjaw:
I suffer from PowerGrep envy as I cannot justify such a purchase. So I use Funduc's Search & Replace. I find it easy to use and powerful.

justice:
Wow that PowerGrep looks like a serious search and replace machine. I don't think I'm ready to take it on haha.

Renegade:
I used to use Agent Ransack years ago - maybe I need to check it out again.

Lately I've just been creating one-off custom programs to fit what I need though. Often my requirements I can meet quickly with some simple RegEx and it takes about the same time to program as to figure out the RegEx expression.

As for PowerGrep... It's a mean beast with power out the wahoo. Jan is a really smart guy and has done a fantastic job there (but who wouldn't when they live in beautiful Thailand?). Though like others, I find it hard to justify the cost.

I'll be interested to hear how people evaluate different programs.

Perry Mowbray:
I too have tried
InfoRapid Search & Replace http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm
and
Agent Ransack http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

And thought they both worked well enough...

But have unInstalled them a long time ago (probably through lack of use), now I use PSPad which definitely isn't the best, but it satisfies my needs (which I think are pretty simple): Though Alan's post turned me green  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version