ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone actually use windows system restore if so,does it work.

<< < (7/9) > >>

Deozaan:
Windows XP System Restore usually makes me wait 5-10 minutes while it reboots and performs the Restore only to tell me that it couldn't restore to the point and it failed.

I've only been able to get it to work perhaps 2-3 times total in all the years I've run XP. It's not very dependable.

LordDaMan:
System restore worked wonders for me. I tried one of those total conversion packs to replace all the bitmaps inside various system files. The installer pretty much borked the entire system. i couldn't even boot normally without windows throwing up a ton of errors. I managed to get into safe mode ans ran system restore. It worked perfectly and made my system usable again

mouser:
System Restore can save you, but in my view it should be something of a last resort, since it can leave your system in a state where anything installed after the save point is still on your drive, but not properly installed.

In other words, it rolls back SOME of the changes made to your system but not all, which is not a great place to be.  For emergencies it may be useful but avoid it if you possibly can.

Darwin:
System Restore can save you, but in my view it should be something of a last resort, since it can leave your system in a state where anything installed after the save point is still on your drive, but not properly installed.

In other words, it rolls back SOME of the changes made to your system but not all, which is not a great place to be.  For emergencies it may be useful but avoid it if you possibly can.
-mouser (June 16, 2008, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

This, sadly, has been my experience with System Restore. I have SR disabled, now, and rely on Super Flexible File Synch and Acronis True Image to keep me out of harm's way.

tomos:
rely on ... Acronis True Image to keep me out of harm's way.
-Darwin (June 16, 2008, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I sort of rely on Acronis TI as well, but I've never actually restored an image - it sort of reminds me of the first time I opened a computer to replace a CD drive, I was, ahh ... scared out of my wits :D
The idea of restoring an image has the same effect on me - MG - what if nothing works after :tellme:

Like the sound of Rollback RX but the price ($69...+ 19% tax here :() seems a lot more than it's worth (to me at any rate)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version