ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone actually use windows system restore if so,does it work.

<< < (6/9) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
now does that mean a system restore from 2 weeks ago remove all the changes you've made to a system since -
i.e. any programmes installed in those 2 weeks get "uninstalled" ?
-tomos (October 10, 2007, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's exactly what it does.  I have used System Restore many times to roll back my primary workstation to a stable configuration and it has worked perfectly every time.  However, I have made it a point to disable System Restore on all drives except C: (where Windows is installed).

It even has an "Undo" feature to roll forward to the point from which you last restored, should things get worse instead of better.

Carol Haynes:
Yes it effectively uninstalls everything installed since the restore point BUT it doesn't remove the application files - so they will still appear in the START menu etc.

If you think you are going to need to use System Restore in this way it is probably worth manually fixing a named restore point before every installation - then at least you know what will need to be reinstalled by looking at the restore points before actually applying.

Lashiec:
They get "uninstalled", as for example, you lose the registry settings created and the drivers if they installed some. Basically, you have to reinstall them to avoid problems. It's a side effect, but the only alternative is a complete image of the disk.

EDIT: :wallbash: Look for a second page before posting :wallbash:

Curt:
IF you are among those lucky people who can actually benefit from using XP's system restore, then this little piece of freeware will be right for you:  Easy HR Windows XP System Restore Point Creator

Easy HR Windows XP System Restore Point Creator

Easily create windows restore points. Options for a quick create or you can add your own description. Create a Windsows XP System restore point with a single click.

* Tested on Windows XP SP2.

* Registration not required. This application is freeware. 

--- End quote ---

http://www.easyhr.com.au/software/easy_system_restore.htm
- "Download Easy HR Computer Uptime" is a silly typo, the file is the proper "SetRestore.exe"

PhilB66:
I am using System Snapshot for Windows XP. Features:

* Eliminates the need to have to navigate to the System Restore interface to create a restore point

* Immediately creates a restore point for the System Restore utility

* Can be configured to automatically load in the Windows system tray on Windows starts up

* Offers a convenient system tray icon which can be used to create a restore point on the fly

* Can be configured to automatically create a restore point on Windows or System Snapshot startup

* Provides the ability to automatically create a restore point via Windows XP's Scheduled Tasks service or a 3rd party scheduler

* Provides the option to add a description for the restore point

* Includes options to disable access to the System Restore interface and System Restore settings

* Takes up about 5k of memory
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version