topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I have Admin privileges,But Opera's classic installer says nope.  (Read 4685 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've already opted for the windows installer (newer) after trying for almost an hour.To tell the truth i can't tell the difference but it still irks me to no end.I always run as admin.Any one ever have this problem...with any application?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually yes (not with Opera). It was when I had protected a folder using the XP cacls command. It took me a while figuring out that I needed to give system access to the folder I was running the installer from. I can't remember which installer this was, but it was a .msi

So, question is: Have you made any changes to permissions? Tried running the installer from another location, such as c:\ ?

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for response,
no i haven't made any changes.Now when i ran the msi installer it caughed out a error that read something about not having the proper permissions for mediaplayer/FilterShimDllExclusionList i fooled around with that for a minute giving admin permission and just about everthing else and it rejected my input,so pushed ignore error on opera's installer and i guess,so far everything is cool.Just miffed.It's one of those things you sort of got it working but wanna know how and why just the same. 

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep - happened to me on a few things (not Opera as i don't use it).

I think it often comes down to crafty techniques that try to stop you changing file associations. You can set permissions on registry keys and values as well as on files and I have had installers fail because they couldn't write particular registry values.

There isn't a simple solution to this but what you can try is inspecting/editing the permissions on registry keys using regedit (take care) and ensure your user id (not just the admin group) has full access. Just go into Start > Run > Regedit and select the suspect part of the registry (can be a whole collection of keys under one branch or a single key or a single value) and then you can inspect what is going on by Edit > Permissions ...

If you want to ensure you have access you can eidt the permissions for your user name - and apply them to the currently slected item and (optionally) to all sub items.

Take care though - and get a backup before messing about too much.

Don't be tempted to set a default value for the whole registry - you may well screw up everything if you get it wrong and if you get it right you may introduce security issues!!!

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for input all,

What i think happened,i don't want to false accuse,i used the latest version of Reg Seeker.After i did a sweep i had problems with my taskbar keeping settings,which was a huge headache to fix and i think it jacked around if not completely change some registry keys permissions.In which,to be honest is sorta my faught for willy-nilly clicking through without seeing all that i was doing.In other words you can't rely on the default settings,like i used to.I know we've had threads on this before,registry cleaners can do some funky things.Live and learn and i did learn.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:47 PM by tinyvillager »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Be careful with those "registry optimizers"... they aren't going to help much speedwise, and there's always the risk of major fubar. Usually not worth it, imho.
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CAREFUL with RegSeeker. That registry cleaner is VERY aggressive, and it should be used with MAXIMUM care (sorry for the emphasis)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I have Admin privileges,But Opera's classic installer says nope.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:52 PM »
Before I had Revo Uninstaller and Total Uninstall I "always" used RegSeeker to find any leftovers from uninstalled programs, but I will never (again) use it to clean my registry: I tried that feature once, and once was enough...