topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GridMove: Grids Here  (Read 327473 times)

crr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GridMove: Grids Here
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Wow, GridMove is just what I've been searching for - I downloaded as soon as I found it and setup my grids within minutes.  I'm a visual person, so I "forget" what else I have going on so I like to have everything open and clickable without ALT+TAB or taskbar.

Sharing my setup which is pretty simple (6 grids) over two big monitors.  Monitor 1 is workspace where I have three overlapping windows so I can work on script or document in one while browser and e-mail visible "behind" (at least I can see if email comes in and my to do list).  Monitor 2 is big workspace with a "sidebar" where I can stick Skype and IM and see them all without juggling windows.

kellyllek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I'm just trying out the program and it's pretty cool. I wondered though, once you have a grid, is there an automatic way to lay your windows onto it the same way you can right-clicking the taskbar and saying "Show Windows Stacked" or "Show Windows Side By Side".?

I remember also seeing in the past a way for Windows to memorize multiple locations. Ideally, what I'd like to do, is open up say 5 different programs or websites in their particular location, all with one click. I'm starting to work with Drupal at the moment and I'd love to site to be in one location, Photoshop to be in another, notepad+ in a 3rd, a couple of different browsers going, etc...     Now, when I'm doing a particular task it's a bit of an ordeal just getting started.

Lastly, The Dual Screen grid is perfect for what I need, but I need it in reverse. I'm going to see if I can't flip my monitor plugs rather than try and rebuild the grid!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Hi kellyllek!
(sorry for the late response :( )
No, GridMove can't automatically place windows.. It's on my todo-list (has been suggested quite a few times already), but I really haven't had any time recently to implement new features into GridMove, I've been only doing bug-fixing.

Regarding the grid you requested, try the grid I've attached to this post, it can do both dual-screen and dual-screen reversed ;) (it's a bit more complex, though).
Also, it's the one I use :)

shdwphnx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Heard about GridMove a couple of days ago, and downloaded it yesterday.   I've been playing with it since then, and have to say that it is an incredibly useful little utility.  Spent most of the night learning how to make grids so I could get one that works exactly the way I wanted.   Here is what I came up with, in case anyone else is interested...

FYI: It can handle up to 3 monitors, although there are no layouts in it which cross to other monitors (meaning the layouts on monitor 1 only affect monitor 1, etc.).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 04:01 AM »
Heard about GridMove a couple of days ago, and downloaded it yesterday.   I've been playing with it since then, and have to say that it is an incredibly useful little utility.  Spent most of the night learning how to make grids so I could get one that works exactly the way I wanted.   Here is what I came up with, in case anyone else is interested...

that looks impressive - thanks!
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 12:10 PM »
@shdwphnx: That's an impressive grid! Really useful, and flexible! :D
Thanks ;)

seppserv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Hi!
Great program.
This is my grid (225 Possibilites):

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 03:00 PM »
I would like to use Timcrew's grid on my single monitor, but having the right hand screen on my single monitor (I get the left side).
Is that possible, or is there an equivalent grid? Thanks

I have two 24" widescreen monitors.  I like to work with large full-height windows directly in front of my eyes, with smaller windows off to the sides.  This calls for a symmetrical grid, where the right and left monitor grids are mirrors of each other.

I never split my main windows horizontally, only vertically.  But my side windows (maybe call them "portlets") might be half height.

I sometimes split my screens 50/50 left-to-right, and other times 65/35.

With all of those constraints, I came up with a grid layout that provides what I want with 16 zones.  I haven't decided if I want to add zones for minimize and maximize.  The current implementation doesn't have them.

The grid works a lot like the dual-screen grid that is currently included with the base installation, except that it mirror-images the left and right monitors, and allows for a 50/50 split in addition to the 35/65 split.  (Maybe the dual-screen layout is a 30/70 split.  I can't tell exactly.)

The attached grid allows for layouts like

50/50 split full height

|--------|--------|  |--------|--------|
|        |        |  |        |        |

65/35 split full height

|-----|-----------|  |-----------|-----|
|     |           |  |           |     |

50/50 split with portlets

|--------|        |  |        |--------|

65/35 split with portlets

|-----|           |  |           |-----|

Or any combination of those.  Of course, there's nothing keeping you from using 50/50 on one monitor and 65/35 on the other, or full height portlets on one and half-height portlets on the other.

[Edit Jan 10 2008:  Improved trigger zones]

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Well after looking at these, mine seems a little simplistic.  It is just a modification of the 3-Part Reverse included, hense the new name Offset 3-Part Reverse.  The only real difference is the two target sites on the right side are not equal in size.  This is nice for me so I can have my buddy list in the larger lower grid, while my monitoring program is in the smaller upper grid.  I since found I will likely use desktop corral for this instead (since I always want those programs on top), but since it was already created, here you go...

mulle78

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Pls see my new grid for the most simple split and span functions over two monitors. And it works fine with one monitor at command 2 50% left, command 3 50% right and command 4 100% full screen.

The attached grid allows for layouts like

UNDO monitor 1 = WIN+G+1 and UNDO monitor 2 = WIN+G+2

50/50 split full height for monitor 1 and 2 ( WIN+G+3 | +4 | +5 | +6 )

100% per monitor 1 and 2 (WIN+G+7 | +8)

|-----------------|  |-----------------|
|                 |  |                 |

span over two monitors (WIN+G+9)

|                                      |

FondueAuFromage

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 12:18 PM »
What an excellent app!!!! Thank-you very much!

...and it comes with an excellent additional bonus: it lets me move/resize modal windows (that I am not allowed to move/resize manually, because they are waiting for another window to be closed). This is something that bugs me everyday, and lo-and-behold, gridmove is the solution!

I am VERY happy with this!!!

shift3r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08 AM »
thanks jgpaiva :) apart from needing this i have actually had a bit of fun messing around with the little orange boxes.

-----

i'm posting my Grrrid! without screenshots for now as it is incomplete and 'cause i'm half dead at the moment.

to do:
* add other display layouts.
* add links to plugins.
* fiddle with triggers 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. (create big big targets or remain unobtrusive?)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:09 AM by shift3r »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Cool grid, shift3r!

On my computer it looks like a mess (because I'm currently working only on the laptop, at 1280x800), however I can see how well organized it is for large screens!
I think it only needs some 1/3 and 2/3 spaces, I find those very useful (browser on the 2/3 and IM on 1/3 ;) ).

shift3r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2009, 07:30 AM »
heh. it must look like hell with all the absolute padding :S

i was mainly only aiming to get the elements of main display plotted (located?). then i was going to run back over it and see what could be done to make it simpler. then i can just run a mirror of it onto two smaller displays either side of it. (adding controls to the main display's Grid too)

I think it only needs some 1/3 and 2/3 spaces, I find those very useful (browser on the 2/3 and IM on 1/3 ;) ).

elements 1 and 2 are!

my display is 16:10. i designed my Grid by dividing quarters for height and sixths for width, as a region guide. after some testing i chose 15/24, 9/24 both at 3/4 height. after my next edit i will have tried adding the option of 'full height' to each one in a similar way to the overlapping "centre" triggers of elements 3 and 4 (choice of half or 3/4 display size; centred).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2009, 07:53 AM »
Oh, I guess I must have missed a few spaces due to the overlapping :)
I'll test it when I'm at home with my larger monitor ;)

:Thmbsup:

xiperware

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Just discovered GridMove, great program!

I couldn't find any grids that did what i want, so i created my own.

xipergrid1 - trigger zones
xipergrid1.jpg

It is a generic grid that allows all possible combinations of 1/3 - 1/2 - 2/3 in both height & width with an intuitive trigger layout - works best with Show Grid turned off. This means you can have many different layouts such as:

xipergrid1a.jpg

It's actually generated from a small throwaway script (attached) so it's easy to tweak without manually editing all 1600 lines. Currently supports two monitors - you can edit the script and add more if needed.

Cheers,
- xiper
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:52 AM by xiperware »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2009, 04:46 AM »
xiperware: Incredible work, that looks amazing!
I think I'll include that in the next release of GridMove, is that ok with you?

xiperware

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2009, 04:49 AM »
xiperware: Incredible work, that looks amazing!
I think I'll include that in the next release of GridMove, is that ok with you?
No probs, go for it.

SweVictor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15 AM »
Hi all!

After the last update of GridMove from jgpaiva making this possible I thought I'd share my first grid. The grid basically divides the screen in a 2x2 grid and also has one bonus grid for a middle main window with one or two sidebars around it.

But - what is more interesting is the maximize and stretch controls around the edge of the screen. Try them out and please tell what you think! Basically they all modify an existing window's size without moving it. The way I think that maximize and stretch controls should work!

Edit: As jgpaiva kindly reminded my I kinda missed one thing... To actually attach the grid :D   I actually thought about attaching an image of it but decided not to... I didnt think about the actual file though  :-[

/Victor
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:36 AM by SweVictor »

cmglee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Thank you, jgpaiva, for a fantastic application -- I can't live without it now  ;)  Keep up the good work!

In case anyone is interested, I made this grid with these features:

1. All combinations of 2 columns x 2 rows and 3 columns x 2 rows.

2. 2-monitor support (add 30 to trigger codes for 2nd monitor).

3. Trigger codes corresponding to numeric keypad key positions.

4. Most popular standard sizes according to http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ (1024x768 [trigger 40], 1280x1024 [50], 1440x900 [10] and 1680x1050 [20]) for Web development.

5a. 2-column windows vertically inset by 1 pixel so that 3-column windows can be focused by moving the mouse pointer to the left/right screen edge and clicking.
5b. 3-column windows horizontally inset by 1 pixel so that 2-column windows can be focused by moving the mouse pointer to the top/bottom screen edge and clicking.

I find feature #5 really useful as I can use muscle memory and needn't depend on the taskbar (and Alt+Tab) to select windows.

P.S. Is that a way to label the trigger areas with descriptions when the grid is shown, similar to "On Top" and "Undo"?

lolmaus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Got a grid with 9 simple regions for each of 3 monitors.

Grids don't overlap docked windows (i. e. buddy list).

DarthRogue

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AeroGrid
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31 AM »
This is a grid that allows you to split your screen in half, quarters, and for people who are used to Windows 7 AeroSnap, but just don't have it in Windows XP!  :)

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing, guys!  :up:

q-rim

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Thanks for a great application.
I love it so much I had to make my own template.
It has a similar functionality as the default xipergrid1.grid, but I tried to clean up the target grid.
Enjoy~!

kellyllek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Hi GM people, I haven't been here in a while but still use GridMove. This may have been addressed but I'm obsessed with transparency and one thing I didn't like about many of the grids is that the borders rest against each other. So I took the popular Dual Screen grid (my personal favorite) and just added a 20 pixel boarders around each grid to give the widows a little space. I'm calling it Dual-Screen-Float. It's just an idea in case you want to try it with your favorite grids.

if you're interested in transparancy also check out WinRoll (search google). It allows you to roll up windows into their title bar and make window transparent. I use it with gridmove