topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: auto color 'new folder' icon to make it quick to find  (Read 8487 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
auto color 'new folder' icon to make it quick to find
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:56 AM »
i'll make this request and hope that someone just suggests a util that already does this - or a better method of what i'm describing.

i tend to make a 'new folder' and throw the things into it that i'm currently working on - kind of like a quick temp folder to isolate a few files from a bunch of others.

the important thing is speed - i'm only using this folder temporarily (perhaps) and i just want to get things done quickly so i don't rename the new folder - i just leave it as 'new folder'.

this is fine, except for when there are several, possibly hundreds, of other folders at the same level of the 'new folder'. the problem is when using software and browsing to the 'new folder' i have to scan through the list of other folders until i get to 'N' for 'new folder'. perhaps i'm making a big deal out of nothing but if the 'new folder' was a different colour, i.e. now yellow, then i wouldn't have to scan through all the other folders looking for 'N', instead i'd just look for the different colour.

an alternative would be for windows to name a new folder '! New Folder' with the ! at the front so that the newly created folder appeared first in the list of other folders - thereby making it simple to find.

i appreciate this is long winded. in fact, this is kind of insane, i've just spent more time writing this than it will take for me to manually input the '!' character into the 'new folder' name field when it is created. okay, fine, i'll go and bang my head against the wall for a few minutes.

adarkstar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: auto color 'new folder' icon to make it quick to find
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:51 AM »
This may be something you could use:
http://icolorfolder.sourceforge.net/

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:38 AM »
This may be something you could use:
http://icolorfolder.sourceforge.net/

You may want to / should read the forum at http://sourceforge.n....php?forum_id=510457 first b4 installing this software.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:54 AM »
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:15 PM »
yeah, i'm just lazy. i've got folder marker installed but i seem to forget about it. i think i'll try folderico as it looks like it's got a more direct access to the coloured folders.

edit:

just removed 'folder marker' and now using 'folderico'. folderico seems to work a lot smoother - it doesn't cause a screen refresh to happen on my desktop like folder marker did. there is also less menu navigation involved with folderico (the coloured folders were at another sub level within folder marker).

so thanks for that recommendation, Nighted.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:33 PM by nudone »