ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dieting my laptop, starting with Windows Desktop Search -But I'm stuck, Help !!

(1/2) > >>

patteo:
I have long entertained the idea of reducing my computer overload by removing the software that I seldom or rarely use but are just around chewing up CPU cycles during startup and while in normal use or otherwise occupying my registry and disk space.

So I thought this ought to be a piece of cake (bad example to use when dieting).

Well, my cake example was ominous enough when I started by trying to uninstall Microsoft Windows Desktop Search.

I got a warning message which essentially said if you remove me, it will gum up your computer saying that a series of programs (including Mouser's beloved Find and Run Robot and others ) and Microsoft patches etc may no longer work.

See jpg attached.

Has anyone removed Microsoft Windows Desktop Search and experienced the "End of The World" ?

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated.

mouser:
i can assure you that find+run robot couldnt care less about desktop search being installed.

Grorgy:
I got that message to, i thought about it for a bit and it seemed that all the programs listed had been installed or modified after windows search had been, i got rid of it anyway, no dramas at all.

f0dder:
Yeah, it probably just checks if any apps have been installed after itself, and warns about those instead of tracking real dependencies. Seems like a scare tactic to me...

patteo:
Thanks everyone for the input and assurance.

So I bit the bullet and removed it. And so far so good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version