ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Some HomeSite Replacement Help?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Dirhael:
I would have to say that to me, it sounds like E would be a close to perfect fit. With its support for TextMate bundles, it makes developing (X)HTML (or any other language for that matter) a breeze. For instance, the CTRL+B for bold, CTRL+I for italic etc. are all there. It has a built-in bundle editor to create your own snippets and commands in seconds, so if the command you're looking for isn't there, it should be easy to add. For me personally, the command I use most frequently in xhtml when using E is to type the name of the tag, followed by ALT+< . To explain better, let's say that I typed div and then pressed [alt]+[<]. This would give me <div></div> with the cursor already placed between the opening and closing tag. It might not sound like much, but it is a real timesaver. Another really nice thing is that if you have selected some text, and press " (or <, >, ' etc.) it will wrap the text with that symbol instead of overwriting....and yet another thing is that most commands are context-sensitive. Let's say that you are working with a file containing both xhtml and PHP. In the html part of the file you then press [alt]+[enter] to get a <br />, but it you were in the PHP part it would instead give you a \n (line-break char).

There are of course many more nice things you can do (block selections in it is a real killer feature), but the ones listed above was just some of the things I didn't know I missed in previous editors until I tried it.

justice:
I'm using Direct Access in combination with Topstyle. Topstyle has all the great html shortcuts and css handling, and any serverside languages I add in autotexts with Direct Access, i guess it's the closest to snippets.

Now with Topstyle being semi developed again... it looks good. I don't know why Nick can't commit to editors for some reason ;)

E does look good and there was another textmate inspired editor for windows, but can't remember the name. I just don't want to depend on unproven beta software at the moment.

Dirhael:
I'm using Direct Access in combination with Topstyle. Topstyle has all the great html shortcuts and css handling, and any serverside languages I add in autotexts with Direct Access, i guess it's the closest to snippets.

Now with Topstyle being semi developed again... it looks good. I don't know why Nick can't commit to editors for some reason ;)

E does look good and there was another textmate inspired editor for windows, but can't remember the name. I just don't want to depend on unproven beta software at the moment.

-justice (July 30, 2007, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I belive the editor you're thinking of is InType. Unfortunately, it isn't really much of an editor yet. It's alpha software, you can't add bundles yet, no tabbed interface and no project management. Right now it's not much more than a pretty face.

I'm interested in seeing if Nick actually starts taking care of Topstyle again, but I'm having my doubts about anything more than bugfixes. It's a shame though, as it really is a nice program. It's just that it has fallen behind much of the competition in some areas, and it's not flexible at all if you want to work in languages other than CSS & HTML.

justice:
It's just that it has fallen behind much of the competition in some areas
--- End quote ---
Could you care to explain? Things like macro recording?

I'm confident all the good shortcuts can be recreated with DirectAccess and the developers are very responsive. It's juts a lot of work, although with the upcoming command pack sharing features it should become easier.

The various visual studio editions have the right features that I would be looking at, but I'm juts not sure how well they support the html /css.
Perhaps in combination with Topstyle all the bases are covered. We're looking to move towards that because we're moving from classic asp to asp.net here at work. I love the intellisense, and topstyle has that for html/css, but a lot of alternatives just have syntax coloring which is a real miss.

nudone:
that 'e texteditor' looks pretty amazing - check out the main screencast on the home page if you are curious. i think i'll buy it and i'm not even much of a text editor type person.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version