topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request for GridMove  (Read 14727 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request for GridMove
« on: July 27, 2007, 07:32 PM »
So this have been troubling me for years, but 'til I asked Wordzilla about it, I didn't found a possible solution, which would be GridMove. OK, so the problem is that I want to fit in the exact center of my desktop a window of any given size. Yep, no resizing (at least for now). A shot to explain the problem.

2007-07-28_021053.jpgFeature request for GridMove

See that "Fusion 3.51 - blablabla" window there? I want to move that window (960x720, but should be extensible to any window size) to the exact center of my desktop (1280x1024, but it should be extensible to any other resolution). Essentially, it's a math job that sometimes I did using a ruler (no kidding), but with some other windows it was a nuisance. If all windows could be maximized without side effects, there would be no problem, but giving some of the software I handle, that's no possible, either because the software was designed to have the window like that, either because it looks terrible on full screen (this is the case, for example).

Well, I think that's all. I hope I expressed my problem/request clearly so you could understand what I'm asking. Feel free to flame me if the written expression of my thoughts is terrible, the request is unrealizable, if I'm a tiny little perfectionist.. well, you see the point ;D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request for GridMove
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I'm sorry, i'm now leaving for vacations.

This isn't in the scope of gridmove, because gridmove always resises the window.
But this really isn't very hard to do as an ahk app, i'm sure some of the other ahk coders here could easily do it.

If not, i'll try to do it soon (but it'll take me some time)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:58 AM »
If you don't mind doing it manually, try http://www.codeproje...wScraper_Utility.asp - it's "center" feature is annoying on multimonitor systems, though :)
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Thanks a lot f0dder! I'll give it a try. Most of the software that will use the feature save their window position, so it's a one-time job. And I see it has a resize feature. Neat!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Lashiec,

Do I understand you correctly? You want to take an existing windows, of any size, and just center it on a single monitor?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:34 PM »
Yeah, exactly that

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Lashiec, i once had the same request and Skrommel came up with WinWarden.. :Thmbsup: it has an option to center the active window by double-clicking the tray-icon, give it a try.. :)

https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=757.0
https://www.donation.../Skrommel/#WinWarden

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 12:15 PM »
OK, thanks lanux! I'll give a try to WinWarden as well

Tyinsar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:47 AM »
Edit: I thought I could do it but it did not work - though I think I was close.
This isn't in the scope of gridmove, because gridmove always resises the window.
But this really isn't very hard to do as an ahk app, i'm sure some of the other ahk coders here could easily do it.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, especially since I think you already have an answer, but I think GridMove could almost do this.
It could be another feature If this gird worked:

[Groups]

NumberOfGroups = 1

[1]
 TriggerTop    = [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] /4
 TriggerBottom = [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] *3/4
 TriggerLeft   = [Monitor1Left] + [Monitor1Width] /4
 TriggerRight  = [Monitor1Left] + [Monitor1Width] *3/4
  GridTop    = [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] /2 - WindowHeight /2
  GridBottom = [Monitor1Top] + [Monitor1Height] /2 + WindowHeight /2
  GridLeft   = [Monitor1Left] + [Monitor1Width] /2 - WindowWidth /2
  GridRight  = [Monitor1Left] + [Monitor1Width] /2 + WindowWidth /2

The issue as I see it is that GridMove doesn't do math on "WindowWidth" or "WindowHeight". Of course I have no idea how much it would take to make that work. I also don't know how many people would want this feature.
[GridMove Tutorial]
It's not about how Life treats you - It's about how You treat life.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:52 AM by Tyinsar »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Hey tynsar!

Strangelly, i already had this idea, but for some reason i didn't implement it. Not sure if it had any kind of problem or something...
Bur it shouldn't be too hard to implement. I'll do it right away and report back.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:45 AM »
Ok.. Now i remember the problem. The values of those variables are evaluated at the moment the grid is loaded, because it's way too slow to evaluate them as you move the mouse around the areas. Thus, there can't be any values that depend on the context of the current "drag and drop" :(

Maybe this could be implemented on the "move with keyboard" features, but it might still take too much time.

I'll look into it again the day after tomorrow and i'll see what i can do ;)

Tyinsar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Since the plan is to keep the window the same size would it matter? - Though I'm not sure I understand the issue. If, after loading GridMove, I manually resize a window or open a new one isn't GridMove aware of that? - otherwise "WindowWidth" & WindowHeight" wouldn't work on those. Still, you're the programmer - if it's too much it's not really a feature I need and there's no sense getting the software bloated.
[GridMove Tutorial]
It's not about how Life treats you - It's about how You treat life.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:07 AM »
The problem here, is that there's something i wasn't very specific about. The maximize vertically/horizontally grid elements don't really replace that "window height" / "window width" with the height and the width of the window and then move it, those are just placeholders so that gridmove can know that that grid element refers to a maximize verticaly/horizontaly element.

"If, after loading GridMove, I manually resize a window or open a new one isn't GridMove aware of that?"
Nope, gridmove isn't aware of any current state of the windows, it doesn't need to. The active window is moved to the coordinates specified by the grid element selected (which, at the time of moving, are already only numbers, because all the parsing of the variables happens only once when gridmove is started).