ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web 2.0 Poll

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
I'm vehemently in the "Web 2.0 is BS" camp. But I'm curious at to what others here think (and more importantly... DO).

I post in forums and do some work in a browser like posting into the Bug Tracker, etc. But other than that, I really NEED the power of a client program. For me, the whole Web 2.0 thing is total BS. I think fast and work fast. A browser just can't keep up enough for me to take it seriously.

But I'd like to hear how others feel on the topic and how they work. I'm not your average user, so what works for me isn't going to be what works for everyone else.

mitzevo:
I don't think it's total bs.. it's cool that you can do a lot with just a web browser but ofcourse you still need a desktop/your system to do a lot of stuff.. It's just conveniant, say, to be able to do a lot from within a web browser.  ;D

steeladept:
I really do think it is bad, and it isn't anywhere near a reality - YET.  However, I think it is coming and we won't easily be able to avoid it.  There are too many advantages to corporations that build the software, and it takes the PC closer to an appliance - a very complex and flexible one, but appliance none the less.  When you can setup a commodity machine with a generic setup and forget about it, because it just works - that is what most people want out of their machine, and the Web 2.0 idea is another step closer to it.

Lashiec:
I've ranted enough in other threads, so I'll only say desktop + web apps :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
+1 for the rants! :D

I think that in a few years we'll see more useful things, but the network bandwidth issue will remain for a very long time, making certain kinds of operations simply too intensive. e.g. Audio & video editing. They're simply extremely intense, especially with the higher resolutions today. HD DVD & Blu-ray will make things even tougher. That's a VERY long way off - beyond the forseeable future.

Even a lot of the text editing that I do is too intense for Web 2.0. I've got 100 file open and want to do a regular expression search & replace... CPU intense and bandwidth intense if my files are large. That's a pretty normal operation for a lot of what I end up doing on a daily basis.

Web based operating systems? HAHAHAHAHAHA~! Sorry - I don't smoke crack! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version