topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Converting DRM protected music files: software recommendations  (Read 33370 times)

cnewtonne

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a need to convert some DRM protected music files that I purchased absolutely legally. However, I need to have them convert to an MP3 format so I can play them on my CD player, Treo, and IPod shuffle.

I searched the web and came up with these 3 contenders, TuneBite, SoundTaxi, and NoteBurner. I tested all, they all were able to do the conversion.
This music conversion tools business if full of crab and trashy vendors. To be specific ...

- I would like to hear from other users what their experience has been with any of these products, good and bad.
- If you used TuneBite, do you know if it can convert unprotected files too

Thank you

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Converting DRM protected music files: software recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Another very used method would be to burn a cd with the musics, and then rip them back.
(notice that you don't actually have to burn a cd, you can only make an iso, then mount it on a virtual drive).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:38 AM »
I would go for Total Recorder to minimize the quality loss, and for convenience as well

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:48 AM »
There are lots of recording programs around - many very good (e.g. Audacity). Total Recorder costs but, I agree, it absolutely rocks for quality and functionality. I've been using it for years and have never regretted paying for it and all of the add-ons. Their support is great, too!   8)
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

Stella95

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Here is another good converter -TuneCab. I use it to convert almost all DRM-protected files, and I am completely satisfied with it's speed and quality.  :)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 04:37 PM »
If it's Windows Media you're thinking of, then FairUse4WM works for me.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:05 AM »
If it's Windows Media you're thinking of, then FairUse4WM works for me.

Works for me with WMA too (inc WMV DRM video) - but doesn't address the format conversion which is required.

If you just want format conversion Goldwave is an excellent cheap sound editor that can convert just about anything you want.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:39 PM »
I use TuneBite to convert Audible.com's audiobooks to MP3 that I can listen to on my Zune. It works well, and unlike other software I've seen, it can convert faster than realtime (that's easy for non-DRM stuff, but it's the only thing I've seen that can get through DRM files this way). And yes, it can convert anything that iTunes or WMP can play. Audible's files go through at 1.8x this way.

(I haven't tried its video processing, though)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:03 PM »
I have got SoundTaxi (don't use it much though). The basic version converts at up to 4x normal playback speed, the supadupa (whatever it is called) is supposed to convert at up to 40x playback speed.

Having said that I don't really like the choice of fixed MP3 bit rates provided (and no decent conversion options/tweaking) - I also don't like their activation system which locks it to a single Windows install. Their forum is full of people with difficulties activating, though I have to say when I emailed them recently when I reinstalled for the first time in months I got a new activation code within 48 hours.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 08:20 AM »
How to avoid the Zune "3 plays":

CyberNet:

There are still independent musicians and others who want to share the music that they make with others, but without the Zune "3 plays" restriction. Right click on a music file, click on the “Details” tab, and then change the Genre to “Podcast” as shown below. Click “okay”, and the 3-play restriction is void.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Of course this little workaround should only be used on songs that you’ve recorded, or ones which you have permission to do so - says © CyberNet | CyberNet Forum

Pupsik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 04:39 AM »
I have a need to convert some DRM protected music files that I purchased absolutely legally. However, I need to have them convert to an MP3 format so I can play them on my CD player, Treo, and IPod shuffle.

I used TuneBite software. But my PC was running heavily - I glanced at TaskManager and realized that Tunebite eat 300 Megas of my RAM when was left idle for two days - be carefull with this programs - it has huge memory leaks! At least you have to reboot it from time to time.

When you legally download music from services such as iTunes and Musicmatch Jukebox, the files are protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). This prevents you from playing the music on unsupported players. I use MelodyCan software (http://www.convert-a...-media.com/index.php) to remove protection. But remember distributing these files is illegal.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Today's giveawayoftheday is first of all a DRM remover and only then a converter:

November 20, 2008:

Daniusoft Digital Media Converter is a powerful media converter that supports both DRM media and normal media. It helps you convert DRM media: WMA, WMV, ASF and other video/audio: WMA, M4A, AAC, AC3, WAV, MP3, WMV, ASF to MP3, WAV, AAC, MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, etc. With this all-in-one media converter, you can easily remove DRM and convert popular video/audio to many players such as iPod, PSP, Zune, Creative Zen, Archos, Mobile Phone, etc.

If you grab it, it will be senseless not to take the $9 upgrade-to-PRO offer at the same time (during installation) - I literally use the PRO version every day, it is really worth this price!

http://www.giveawayo...tal-media-converter/
+ upgrade link: https://usd.swreg.or...;v=5&d=0&q=1
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:48 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 12:39 PM »
For Windows Media Player and mp3 files, I've had good experiences using MUVaudio. I've used Total Recorder and Noteburner with iTunes files...

Note - just noticed Curt's post about Daniusoft Converter - definitely worth a look at that price!

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip! To cut to the bottom line (mine anyway) will it remove the protection from my legally bought and paid for iTunes AAC files so that I can convert them to MP3 without having to re-record (e.g. with Total Recorder or similar)? And, does the upgrade to Pro free you from the usual Giveaway Of The Day constraints of never being able to upgrade and/or reinstall the application?

Thanks for saving me a lot of digging around. So often these things lull you into thinking that they say what you want them to say and you have to read between the lines to find what it really says. Trusted personal recommend - such as you guys -is the best evidence!
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Sorry BigJim - can't answer  your questions as I've never tried Daniusoft Converter. My gut tells me that once you pay the $9 upgrade to Pro fee, you should be free of the Giveawayoftheday "curse"! If you're converting iTunes files, look at Noteburner. It installs a virtual CD drive that you can burn to right out of the iTunes interface. It automates the whole process ("burns" to the virtual drive and then re-rips the "burned" CD). If you're on a budge, I'd look into the feasibility of using a free Virtual CD drive to create a disk on your harddrive, mount it in WMP or iTunes and re-rip it. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible, but I'm just the ideas man! (wish I'd thought of it before splashing out for Noteburner - though I only paid $19 for it...)  ;D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 02:17 PM »
The conditions of GAotD are "No free upgrades"

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Yes. Thanks, Carol. That's why I stopped watching that site. Worse is that you can't reinstall the app or use it elsewhere except "on the day". But I was asking about after the $9 upgrade.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Heh, heh - that was my point - once you've paid your $9, I presume that the product is licenced in your name and you should thus be entitled to any free updates that are released and to support as well.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I was just looking at this over at GAOTD and searched here to see if there were any comments. Doesn’t look like anyone here has actually tried it yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I have this damn .wmv file that I purchased for $30 that is DRM protected - needs a password in order to watch it. I watched about half of it and since then have never been able to watch it again. Won't take the password anymore. Writing to the web site was fruitless - no response. I did find a post elsewhere that had a link to an obscure page on that site that has the answer though: Uninstall WMP, run a cleaner to get all the bits off, then install the original WMP9 and don’t update it. Apparently that is the one and only version it will play on! Bull.

Only problem with this Daniusoft application is that I hate installing programs like this just to check them out because they sometimes install filters and codecs that interfere with other burning programs I use currently. Oh well -- guess it can't hurt too much!   :o ;)

Thanks Curt!

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 03:08 PM »
That's why I stopped watching that site. Worse is that you can't reinstall the app or use it elsewhere except "on the day".

Well, you may have missed some programs that you would want. GAOTD's terms are constant, but not all vendors want to enforce them. Liquid Story Binder was explicitly made available upgrades and all. Many programs are gvien codes that can be used to install the programs any time. Some vendors explicitly say they can be used for commercial purposes. The actual situation varies from program to program and vendor to vendor and, if you are interested, you have to look at the individual details.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 03:14 PM »
I've downloaded a few decent programs at GAOTD. Granted they are limited, but only in that you get that one shot to install and use it. If I have liked something I go to the vendor's site and upgrade it. I did that with Anvir Task Manager - I just upgraded to the Pro version and they gave me a discount code to use.

It's a good concept IMO. What some folks seem to want is to get commercial software along with forever updates for free. That doesn’t often happen in this world!

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 03:15 PM »
If you want this application go to the website - download the Pro version and install it. When the installation finishes it opens up a webpage offering the Pro version for $3 as a Thanksgiving Special!!

http://www.wmatomp3-...a-converter-pro.html

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Thanks to all. I guess that for $9 one can't go too wrong. I'll give it a shot also. I have a bunch of Protected AAC files that I want to convert and that task never gets to the top of the "round toit" pile as the manual technique is somewhat labour intensive. Curt's recommend weighs heavily toward the positive. Rah Curt!!   8)

[Point taken, Dormouse. But I often have spent too much time on "interesting" programs that I really don't have any use for. So it's kind of protecting my self from my worst enemy -me, as well  :-[ ... LOL]

[WOW, Carol. Thanks again!!]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46 PM »
If you want this application go to the website - download the Pro version and install it. When the installation finishes it opens up a webpage offering the Pro version for $3 as a Thanksgiving Special!!

http://www.wmatomp3-...a-converter-pro.html

AFAICT, this only applies if you have already purchased a licence for Media Converter... the GAOTD installation isn't going to get you into their customer database (they require your name and e-mail address).

http://www.wmatomp3-...sgiving_upgrade.html

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 04:30 PM »
I've had a quick look at this and can't see that the $3 or $9 upgrade is so worthwhile.
All that adds is the Conversion ability and the number of formats it converts to is pretty limited.
Many free options convert to/from more formats.

I don't have any DRM protected files, so don't know if the unupgraded version does what it says.