Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 01, 2014, 07:29:49 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A new technology for optical discs  (Read 3437 times)
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »

Despite the struggles between HD DVD and BluRay discs for the HD discs niche market, some companies are looking forward to the future developing new discs capable of holding all kind of information, whatever its size may be. This article talks about a particular one that looks beyond today's needs, and developed a new format capable of storing 1TB of data in one disc, and with further optimization could reach 5TB. All of this hosted in your usual-looking optical discs, no bigger and no thicker that any DVD or CD.

The article is fairly long, as it makes a timeline of optical discs technology, explaining how the technology works, and later gives some details about TeraDiscs, as the technique used to record these new type of disk is significantly different from the old combination of pits and valleys. It also includes a interview to a higher-up of Mempile, the company developing the new format.

via The Tech Report
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:58:56 AM »

I haven't read the article yet.

But I am sure we still haven't seen the end of this process: storing more and more digital data in less and less (analog) atoms.

I shall go read the article now :-)
Lashiec

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »

5TB ought to be enough for anybody Wink
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »

Until next week...

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:26:03 PM »

Just how puny is your pr0n fine arts collection?  cheesy

- carpe noctem
BinderDundat
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »

I once saw an estimate (admittedly about 10 years back) that the entire library of Congress could be stored in about 3 Terabytes.  The only problem is getting the data onto the disk.  Optical scanning is still far from 100% reliable and entry by hand would take decades or even centuries for proper data verification.  Then there is the question of retrieving information hidden in such a vast haystack.  Hopefully, the creators of disks with such capacities would index the information somehow.  You've heard of RoboHelp?  Well we need a RoboIndex function.  Google Desktop Search?  Maybe an index based on GDS could be included with the disk?  I recall seeing an announcement that a prototype of the terabyte disks would be available by early next year.  Unfortunately, it can only hold 300 Gb! 
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »

You wouldn't/shouldn't use optical discs for a massive data collection, imho... better to use a massively redundant RAID.

- carpe noctem
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »

You wouldn't/shouldn't use optical discs for a massive data collection, imho... better to use a massively redundant RAID.

I agree!
Optical media : good for multiple backup of archives, maybe (and only if it's cost effective)
I've opted for Hard Drives ONLY after having too many problems (speed + data loss) with optical media.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.21 ]