ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP or Vista user — take the poll!

<< < (10/29) > >>

app103:
If the world is headed web-centric, dust off the old pc, grab some cheap RAM to boost your old 9x machine to the max ...and install K-Meleon.

All you will need is a box that can run a browser.

You won't need whatever M$ releases in 2010.

And how much cheaper can you get than grabbing what your neighbor tossed in the trash last night? Even though Linux is free, free hardware is nicer. :-D

The whole concept of this is bad news for OEMs like HP & Dell. And why are you going to need faster CPU's? Bad news for Intel & AMD.

Great news for companies like Adobe...just wait till you can develop web apps in flash...in your browser.

And instead of paying a flat price for a desktop IDE and keeping it till it is obsolete and getting the most for your money, developers will be paying a monthly, or maybe even an hourly fee, to use the tools they need.

Gone will be the days when you could 'buy' software. You will be renting it.

You might as well save as much money as you can by keeping the old hardware and OS...you'll need it.

Carol Haynes:
MS/Apple/Linux aren't daft - even if webapps become prevalent for most peoples' use they still want to ship operating systems (no matter how much they may try to slim them down).

I suspect a browser will not be the whole story - just as .NET has become endemic - I'll bet in 5 years time you won't be able to install the necessary versions on Win 9x, 2000, XP, 2003 (or even probably Vista) - and there will be a whole new standards war trying to establish whose is the 'web technology' adpoted.

There are already loads of sites that practically insist on Internet Explorer and either don't render properly or lack functionality in other browsers - and you can bet your life MS will do everything in its power to get as much of the internet community hooked into their technology as possible - including takeovers and bribery if necessary.

Windows (as an OS) will change a lot but MS's need for money will not - and even if Windows becomes a 'front end' for webapps you can bet your life the price will continue to grow (as will the size of the package being shipped!).

justice:
This is how i feel about it:
It's the whole reason microsoft is pushing .net 3 is their web applications: Silverlight, the expression series of products and WPF. They make good development tools and now try to link that in to web applications. And with the interpretation by the Mono project always being one step behind, they will have the best implementation as well as being able to say it's cross platform, even though it's not supported.

And with the large userbase already on windows, the majority is not bothered. However it does tie them in to the windows platform.
It's clever business strategy, but not for consumer choice.

nontroppo:
zridling: yes, that article is a mandatory must-read before migration to Vista IMHO. The problems being that MS is forcing all hardware vendors down that road, and so no matter what your OS at some point you are screwed. I've seen defensive return articles from MS and further rebuttals by Gutmann, and he has so far wiped the floor with them. Impressive stuff from Peter but nevertheless a a chilling note for the future...

Laughing Man:
I already use Vista on my laptop (it came preinstalled). Though I'm not upgrading my Windows XP on my desktop anytime soon (hell I'll probably just leave it alone since I don't boot into it at all unless I really have time to play some PC games).

In both my laptop and desktop I spend most of my time in Ubuntu now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version