ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP or Vista user — take the poll!

<< < (16/29) > >>

Lashiec:
64-bit it's still shaky at best. Better to stay with 32-bit for now. Of course, I don't know what you should do with that extra gig, Zaine :P

Josh:
Not really a good reason if you ask me, but if you have to grasp at straws, I guess it could be.

mikiem:
The poll doesn't have any "Other" or multiple choice  :'( Any ol' way, & FWIW of course, I've got 98SE, XP Pro, & Vista H/Prem on hdd, Linux on removable disc.

Personally I'm pretty much OS agnostic, using whatever seems to be the best choice *for me* to reach whatever goals I'm trying to achieve at the time; while a MAC has better software for media work, the $1200 hardware difference (based on ads today) is more than I'm willing to pay. I should (& would) say: "Who cares?"... Well, I tend to be pretty average & so I think that’s the way many (most?) average consumers feel.

I think that whatever seems the easiest to the average user -- figuring in cost,  popularity (Vista’s eye candy for example), time, effort, and amount of thought required -- will prevail. If subscription biz models are preferred by the average consumer, things will swing that way. If not, they won't. Biz apps are another story, and I can certainly see the appeal of dynamically scaling your costs as the number of employees changes, up or down. At the end of the day what tech oriented folk have to say on the matter doesn’t always mean that much – just look at the auto industry, where mechanics have always and overwhelmingly felt certain cars/trucks utter dogs, but that never caused the company not to continue making them, nor influenced popularity.

Regardless preferences, if the past repeats itself (as with 95, 98, xp...), software will start to work less well in XP; XP hardware driver compatibility will become an issue; XP will become less stable due to new drivers, updates, & software versions; tech docs (How-To’s) will no longer reference XP; as we get used to the Vista interface, XP might seem primitive, maybe even quaint. If it works the same as it always has so far, eventually it’ll become tough to use XP, the majority of people will use Vista, & the audience for Vista complaints will dwindle.

What is sort of new is the explosion of on-line apps. Can’t do everything or as well as with the regular software on your hdd, but how often do folks use everything that software has to offer? It could work to have your OS (say a small Linux build) on a flash drive, along with file storage. If the hardware was set-up to allow it, you could use anything anywhere in the world as long as it had an internet connection – beats carrying the lightest, smallest laptop.

Grorgy:
Ahhh mikiem, i think thats where the web based apps will come crashing down, not everyone has access to the internet, those that do an awful lot still have only access to a really slow connection and then of course there is the security of your data, do you want the governement of (insert country) trolling through whatever you write or do?  Im put off internet based apps just by the length of time it takes to logon to google mail or hotmail, a lot of time im on dialup and it can take what seems an age, but is only a minute or so to load.  When i do have access to broadband, its via satellite and its not cheap, and the download amount is restricted.

Thems my thoughts, today

Rocker452:
I use both XP and Vista on my laptop though I use XP most of the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version