ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Long Time to Find Programs

(1/2) > >>

J-Mac:
Why does it take FARR so long to locate a program when I enter it?

I am running FARR 2.00.126 on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine, a pretty quick one usually.  I did have to go into the settings and select Program Files as a folder to search when I installed it. (I would have expected that folder to the first one automatically configured for searching for programs, if any. But it, along with several others, like My Documents, was not selected at installation).

I kind of thought that FARR would go and perform an initial search and cache all found program files as soon as it is installed, but apparently it searches anew every time I type in a keyword. And that is if I know the exact program executable name. If the program has a name that does not match the nominal title of the program, it then takes FARR an extremely long time.  (E.g., Total Commander actually starts with cecmd.exe).

Is this configured all wrong on my PC? Or is this normal behavior?

Thanks.

Jim

mouser:
farr is meant to search the start menu, not program files.

J-Mac:
farr is meant to search the start menu, not program files.
-mouser (July 22, 2007, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
OK -- then does it pre-inventory all in the Start Menu upon installation? Or does it search fresh each time I enter a name?

Thanks

J-Mac:
Oh - which Start Menu does it search? User Start Menu? Or All Users?  Or both?

Thanks.

mouser:
should search both

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version