ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Form Letter Machine

General use issues.

(1/4) > >>

kimajac:
I have been using the formlettermachine intensively for the last 10 days.  The environment is very productivity oriented.  The issues I am listing prevent me from recommending it the 200 members of our team.  That being said, it is a great program for power users.  I do not contribute to programs almost ever.  Yours has huge potential value.  Hence the contribution.

I use the program as a checklist when talking to clients.  I am required by state regulation to cover a series of subjects and record the generic response to the questions.  So I set up either radio buttons or check boxes to select the appropriate response. I have found the following issues as major inhibitors to the program being a potential major contributor to the efficiency of our team.

When the program retreats to the system tray, the active variable list is changed.  If the variable list was not saved, it is lost.  This is a major fault in the program that defeats its value.

When saving a tree or variable list, it should default to the correct folder. Having to remember to change directories is another huge loss in productivity.

Manipulating the tree is not intuitive.  For some reason moving buttons, check boxes and folders requires mulitple attempts to get the hierarchy right.

I am generating 5-8 variable files a day.  The list is becoming too long to manage efficiently.  There should be a method of changing the variable directory so old files can be moved to a inactive location that can be accessed by simply changing the variable directory.  When the program restarts, it should go back to the default variable directory.

I know that there other uses for the your fantastic program.  I think that the issues I have raised are generic and will span almost all other potential uses.  I am willing to recommend the program to my company if the efficiency and loss of data issues can be resolved.  I believe it will provide us the ability to produce a better quality product.

My 3.5 cents for what it is worth.   Thanks for a great program

mouser:
Hi Kim,

welcome to the site!  I've been building up a small list of features to add to the program for a while and once i get my latest big program released at the end of this month (FARR 2), i will delve into new updates of my other programs including The Form Letter Machine.

Let's take a look at your requests:

1. When the program retreats to the system tray, the active variable list is changed.  If the variable list was not saved, it is lost.  This is a major fault in the program that defeats its value.
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a bug that would be easy to fix.

2. When saving a tree or variable list, it should default to the correct folder. Having to remember to change directories is another huge loss in productivity.
--- End quote ---
Agreed -- i've experienced this once too and consider it a bug to be fixed.

3. Manipulating the tree is not intuitive.  For some reason moving buttons, check boxes and folders requires mulitple attempts to get the hierarchy right.
--- End quote ---
I have to figure out if i should redo this code or just tweak existing code -- i know it's not perfect but i'm not sure i want to tackle it yet -- if we can identify specific reproduceable oddities i may be able to fix them.

I am generating 5-8 variable files a day.  The list is becoming too long to manage efficiently.  There should be a method of changing the variable directory so old files can be moved to a inactive location that can be accessed by simply changing the variable directory.  When the program restarts, it should go back to the default variable directory.
--- End quote ---

This sounds intriguing but i'd love to hear some more elaboration on what the best way to do this might be and how the interface might be set up for maximum productivity.  If you could give some thought about the best way to present the interface i'd be interested in hearing it.

kimajac:
The program has the interface already built to store dat files anywhere.  The problem is that the window window on the right that lists the variable files is hard coded to one folder.  The list window is very efficient.  Provide a button that allows the user to change the variable folder.  I am pretty sure the interface for maneuvering through the hard drive directories is already written.  Once the folder is selected, the variable files in that folder would be displayed in the list box.  Taking the concept one step farther, doing the same thing with the tree files allows the user to separate trees by application.  In my case, each state has different requirements.  Having a tree folder for each state would insure I am not using the wrong format....which can get the company in trouble.  If this explanation is not sufficiently clear, let me know.

I will try and accurately describe the issues with the tree manipulation in a subsequent posting.  I am on a deadline tonight.  Thanks for the quick response.

kimajac:
Just came across another fatal error.  If you updated a variable file and do not save it before moving to another, the update is lost.  I status check for changes to the variables is critical. 

System tray revisit:  The program is brain dead when it comes to the system tray.  That is, there is no way of knowing if it is going there.  Once there , you cannot double click or single click to get it back.  A double click causes it to be minimized in the bottom left corner of the screen.  Double click again and you get what should have happened originally.

The ability to change the order of the variables would be fantastic.  As trees change, related variables are spread throughout the list.  Having related variable grouped together would greatly enhance efficiency.

The - button should cause the window to minimize in the task bar.  Sometimes it does sometimes it goes to the system tray.  I think it is related to the whole system tray program module.
I am trying to keep notes about issues, but it is hard to drive and write.

Again, a great program.

mouser:
if you are willing to document them and keep track so we remember to test them to make sure they are fixed, im committed to fixing them.. just on a huge push in July to get my other program released that's the only reason i can't start working on this stuff right away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version