ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GMail Drive in My Computer

(1/5) > >>

cmpm:
Simply Awesome...

http://filehippo.com/download_gmail_drive/

Wordzilla:
GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google Gmail account, allowing you to use Gmail as a storage medium.
--- End quote ---

I know it's not a big deal and many ppl (imo) are using such tools, but there's still debate on its compliance with Google Gmail Program Use Policy.

One of the stated No-nos:
"Modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Gmail Service;
Reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of the Gmail Service."
--- End quote ---

Some real risks of using it (IMO):

1. Google may block the program altogether someday.

2. Google may disable your account.

3. When Google makes changes to Gmail, the program may break and trap your files inside your gmail account (at least temporarily).

app103:
Anybody with either an AOL or AIM account (you can get both for free) can have a nice 5 gig XDrive account for free.

With the XDrive Desktop application, you can have it show in Explorer as either your X, Y, or Z drive.

GMail Drive in My Computer

That's more space than GMail gives you, and it's meant for this purpose. It's not a hack that violates some terms of use policy like the Gmail thing does.

You can also share files with others if they are also XDrive users. And there is no time limit on the files, like with YouSendIt...or file size restrictions. You can upload up to the max your XDrive account allows, which is 5 gigs on a free account, 50 gigs on a paid account.

And the XDrive Desktop program can be set to do automatic backups of whatever files you want, on a schedule.

cmpm:
Wordzilla, hmmm...yeah got the same feedback about the firefox extension also. It's called G-Space.
I think if you limit your use of it, that may be ok, I don't know.

app103, I'll check those things out, having 5 gigs of web space is just enough for a song, well some songs are a bit bigger, but I have been known to post songs in a conversation on a few forums.

Thanks for the input, both of ya.

TucknDar:
having 5 gigs of web space is just enough for a song, well some songs are a bit bigger, but I have been known to post songs in a conversation on a few forums. -cmpm (July 22, 2007, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Eh? songs bigger than 5 gigs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version