ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a honest review from someone who went full-time mac and came back to windows

<< < (5/5)

alxwz:
i stand by my opinion that a lack of a forward delete key is an incredible oversight.-Ehtyar (July 31, 2007, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're completely right with that (and it annoyed my like hell after I got my first - used - Mac, which happened to be a notebook, as late as 2001).

Again: I'm not into a p****ng contest, but I had kind of an impulse reaction on the originally quoted article. Sorry.

Ehtyar:
Same. My bad also. Thanks for not tearing my head off for it :)

Ehtyar.

alxwz:
From a completely different angle, there's something I suddenly remember:

The old Mac OS had a great ability: You could switch your color display to grayscale.
I've never seen that with Windows and it's yet another thing that the "new" Mac OS (X) lost.

Some might think that it's stupid, but I used it a lot for distraction-free writing. I found it much easier to concentrate without the visual noise of a color display.
And you could switch back to color for browsing and the like.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
... I love fiddling with/tweaking/customizing linux--but in the long run, -that- love leads to decreased producivity for me ... Windows is my primary OS--if for no other reasons than familiarity and native support of all of my favorite applications ... -allen (July 23, 2007, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Superbly spoken.
That applies to me 100%.

Which is why I HAD to switch back from Ubuntu to XP Pro.
"familiarity and native support of all of my favorite applications" = ActiveSync & Outlook compatibility with my new Smartphone.
Plus the tinkering was getting outta hand, haha, I would spend more time messing around than actually GETTING something done.

superboyac:
I can't help but chuckle at the constant attempts to claim one is objectively better than the other.  The bottom line is simply that they are both imperfect operating systems bosting overlapping but not identical featuresets and application availability.  At the end of the day, you use what you prefer and/or can afford.

Naturally the suits behind their respective operating systems want for everyone to believe their operating system is wholly and objectively better than their competitors (whether or not they are willing to invest what it would take to create something truly wholly and objectively greater) -- but that end users, too, jump on this is amusing.  I don't think it's even so much a matter of brand loyalty, but rather a fight to not be pegged as incorrect or foolish in your decisions.

This isn't directed at anyone in the thread, simply a blanket statement targeted toward the "My OS is better!" pissing/moaning contest that has been at the cornerstone of computing from the beginning. (and, of course, will persist well beyond our own life times!).

My favorite operating system was BeOS. It was novel, fun, short lived . . .  I won't say it was the best, but I liked it.  I love fiddling with/tweaking/customizing linux--but in the long run, -that- love leads to decreased producivity for me.  Mac never did much for me, its emphasis was in the wrong places to tickle my fancy.  Windows is my primary OS--if for no other reasons than familiarity and native support of all of my favorite applications.  But I don't have [whatever it takes] to claim I've chosen the best -- simply what I'm most comfortable with--for reasons of familiarity, convenience, and affordability.

Bottom line: pissing contests are silly. Should one wish to jump into one though, be mindful of wind direction and velocity!
-allen (July 23, 2007, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
I just have to +1 this.  More and more, I'm leaning in this direction.  I don't even have a bias anymore.  The only reason why I still use Windows is because of familiarity.  Well, that and 90% of all the computers around me are Windows.  Once apple usage gains more ground, I'll start to consider them seriously also.  And they are gaining quick.  Just in the last 2 years, just about all of my 30-and-under friends got apple computers or laptops.  That's a big deal.  Beware, Microsoft, if Apple ever gets its foot in the business door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version