topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Magnify cursor in “grab selected region“ mode  (Read 6235 times)

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Magnify cursor in “grab selected region“ mode
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Has anyone a way to view a magnified cursor while using the “grab selected region” mode of SC? I know there are third party magnifiers out there, but the couple I`ve tried dont work in tandem with SC. With all the amazing options of SC, I was very surprised not to find one similar to what Faststone Capture has, where the keyboard arrow keys move the cursor one pixel at a time, very helpful indeed. Also would be great if arrow keys moved cursor in the main window. Other than that, awesome program, I keep finding new things it can do. Maybe I somehow missed a built in magnifier?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Magnify cursor in “grab selected region“ mode
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:04 PM »
the lack of this basically reflects my bias towards doing a full screen capture and then cropping afterwards.
if you do this, you can nudge and resize the current selection within screenshot captor by one pixel by using cursor keys, and you have an always-visible magnifier at bottom right.  then hit the crop button to crop (or hit Ctrl+R).

i can consider adding a magnifier in capture mode, as i know a lot of people like doing a selection capture, but i try to encourage every selected-region capture person i know to try getting used to full screen cap followed by crop, it has the additional benefit of being able to undo.

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Quite frankly, I hadn’t thought of doing it that way, but I’ve always been a region kind of guy. I guess I like to get it right the first time in one wack - but I see your point as well.

However, what I don‘t see, is a way to ”nudge and resize the current selection by one pixel by using cursor keys“. I must be missing something obvious - not unlikely - but when I have a selection and use the keys trying to adjust, nothing happens. Are we talking about the keyboard arrow keys, as I call them?

Thanks for the quick reply.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:09 PM »
hmm.. now that i try it it doesnt seem to work.. looks like i have something to fix/add for the next version..

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Ah, OK - makes me think me losing me mind  :o So they are actually called cursor keys - all these years, now I know. (that‘s what happens being self-taught on computer)

By the way, one other thing I noticed, is that the object options on the right side panel don’t keep their settings after close.  Another bug, or not implemented to begin with? v2.32.02

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 01:42 PM »
Cursor keys, arrow keys... I guess it depends on what century you were born in ;)

(Transliterated from Danish would be "arrow keys", but "cursor keys" are standard lingo - considering they do move the cursor).
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:55 PM »
By the way, one other thing I noticed, is that the object options on the right side panel don’t keep their settings after close.  Another bug, or not implemented to begin with? v2.32.02

another thing to add to my to do list.. i'll have an SC update in august and try to get these things all done  :up:

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Excellent, never seen support reply so fast! I tried SC long time ago - seems I remember it extremely buggy on my end, so I dropped it pretty quick. Now, besides the few mentions in this post, it seems very well to my liking  :Thmbsup:

(Note: I will quietly keep my fingers crossed for a “super deluxe cursor key assisted regional magnifier thingy” to slowly wind its way to some priority list, for those of us who are just too stubborn to be converted to the “Full screen/crop” crowd.)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:03 PM by mikej »