topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freeware Independent Game: Cave Story  (Read 10779 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Freeware Independent Game: Cave Story
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Cave Story is an amazing little freeware gem--I've played through it once and will very likely play through a time or two more.  But I'll let the more qualified do the gushing--

Cave Story, or Doukutsu Monogatari, is a Japanese freeware PC side-scrolling platformer game developed by StudioPixel. It has been translated into English by Aeon Genesis Translations and will have an official translation script published sometime in the near future.

Cave Story is really one of those games that can be considered a masterpiece of game design. There are so many wonderful and classic gaming elements, that I cannot even begin to describe just one quality well enough to say “It is for this one reason alone that Cave Story is a great game.” There is just so much effort, originality and ingenuity behind this game and it really shows more and more as you play through it.

The developer, Pixel spent five years making this game as fun and as great as it is by adding solid controls, smooth gameplay, a great cast of characters and dialogue, an interesting plot, good music and beautiful old-school 2-D artwork. And on top of all this added multiple endings, several boss battles, tons of items to collect, all kinds of added secret bonuses and special challenges, various and considerably different methods of playing through the game depending on your actions, competition ranking features and an extremely high replay value. For a freeware game it is fairly lengthy too. Cave Story is by far the best freeware game I have ever had the honor of playing through and certainly one of the best games I’ve played.

The gameplay plays like a combination of various NES/Famicom games. Some that come to mind are Metroid, Castlevania, Megaman, Blaster Master and Monster Mash. Pixel’s art style and character design and boss battles are very reminiscent of Treasure games, like Gunstar Heroes, which happens to be one of my personal favorite games of all time. So if you are a fan of any of these titles, then you are in for a real treat. It was a wonderful and addicting experience playing through it and I hope anyone reading this who has not already played this game will give it a shot. You won’t be disappointed. It reminded me of why I enjoy playing videogames.
...Continued

edited to attach picture:
Screenshot - 7_19_2007 , 11_18_43 AM_thumb.png
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:19 AM by mouser »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware Independent Game: Cave Story
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Now you're recommending a really really brilliant game. I advise everyone to play it, at least a little. You won't be disappointed. This is an old-school action/platform game at its finest. It wasn't cheered all over the web for nothing. What are you reading? Go play the game, dammit! ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:56 PM »
I couldn't find the English version though... my excuse is that I've got the flu and a nasty fever :-[
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:38 PM »
In summer? Ah, those Danish summers... Anyway, here it is. Pick your favourite.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:04 PM »
hey f0dder i have the english version if you want it! just ask over msn
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:35 PM »
In summer? Ah, those Danish summers... Anyway, here it is. Pick your favourite.
Thanks plenty, lashiec... my head feels like a watermelon in a microwave, or something like that. Yeah, tricky Danish summers, hot enough for shorts and tshirt one moment, cold the next. And so humid. Will check out the game when I feel a bit better :)
- carpe noctem

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Ya, it's a reaaaally great game. I've played it many times.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:04 AM »
Not sure why I never posted in this thread before, but I played Cave Story and loved it, too.

They're making a version of it for the Wii, and I believe Nifflas of "Knytt" and "Within a Deep Forest" and just recently "Saira" fame is helping with the port.

Should be great!