ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2007 Shareware Industry Award Winners

<< < (3/3)

cmpm:
Or one could call it 'trialware' or 'freeware'.
Which ever applies to the program or service.
Though all trialware has limitations, some freeware has some also.
As we know, but for the beginners shareware seems misleading to me.
Not trying to change the world, just the right to know these things.

rjbull:
I was looking over the lists of winners, past & present, and spotted some that were definitely freeware.

Things like IrfanView,
-app103 (July 19, 2007, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think IrfanView is shareware - dirt-cheap, but you are supposed to pay - if you use it in a commercial situation.  At least, I paid up (some time ago) for just that reason.  Don't know if that applies to the other programs listed, though.

Renegade:
Doc (Michael Callahan) went over the 'shareware' thing last year - basically, he sees anything that you can try first as 'shareware' - even if it's free. Essentially, you get to 'buy' it for $0.00... So free stuff counts.

This year Guitar & Drum Trainer lost out to VMware - It's good software and I use it fairly often. I posted some comments in a blog posting about this year's SIC here. The other software in the category was Help & Manual - more good software that I also use. I know the author of it as well - Alexsander Halser. He was there at SIC this year again and we hung out a fair bit. He's not fond of beer, but get a few glasses of wine in him and... :)

ALSee and ALSong were nominated this year, but didn't win.

I was a bit suprised by a few of the winners, but others were no brainers - e.g. When Firefox won, I don't think anyone was suprised in the least.

mouser:
I also use Help+Manual, and my discussions with the author were very nice -- he seems like a great guy  :up:
He should be winning a lot of awards with H+M.

ps. we've had a discount on H+M in the past and maybe we can get a repeat of the discount when we do our fundraiser at the end of the year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version