ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2007 Shareware Industry Award Winners

(1/3) > >>

tinjaw:
The winners are now up on the website:

Shareware Industry Awards
[attach=#1][/attach]

justice:
This is the first time I hear from this, is there a freeware equivalent?

Darwin:
FolderMatch?! Sure, it's "ok" (I even own a licence for it) but c'mon! It hasn't been updated in over two years and there are much more feature rich and easier to use candidates in its specific category (file and folder synching) - Super Flexible File Synchronizer and Beyond Compare 2 for a start... I can't believe it was a serious contender for best overall

dbrosius:
Never heard MS Office (Best Business Application or Utility) referred to as 'Shareware'!!!  :tellme:

app103:
Never heard MS Office (Best Business Application or Utility) referred to as 'Shareware'!!!  :tellme:
-dbrosius (July 19, 2007, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

The latest version is, technically, since you can download it and install it and try it without having to pay first.

Previous versions that were available on a disk only, where you had to buy it first, are not.

FolderMatch?! Sure, it's "ok" (I even own a licence for it) but c'mon! It hasn't been updated in over two years ...-Darwin (July 19, 2007, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Programs should have been released within 16 months of the current nominations. Any program that has won in the past must have had a fairly significant upgrade in order to be nominated again.-http://www.siavoting.com/procedures.php
--- End quote ---

hmmmm...  :-\

This is the first time I hear from this, is there a freeware equivalent?
-justice (July 19, 2007, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was looking over the lists of winners, past & present, and spotted some that were definitely freeware.

Things like IrfanView, Inno Setup, ICQ, WinAmp 2x, PADgen, Google Mobile, Picasa, Yahoo Messenger, Google Earth, Mozilla Firefox, Open Office, Miranda IM, Pidgin, Mozilla Thunderbird.

And one puzzles me: Microsoft Media Player aka Windows Media Player. (winner in 2005 & nominated 2006)

Can you really try before you buy? According to the rules, you have to be able to try before you buy, for it to be considered eligible.

The media player is part of Windows and you have to buy Windows first in order to get it...then you have an option to upgrade for free when they release a new version.

Or are they calling it freeware, since you pay for Windows and they toss in the media player for free?

Can anyone clarify which it really is, technically?

I say we should all nominate FARR next year.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version