ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Find&Run Robot owns desktop search

<< < (2/5) > >>

m_s:
I am ignorant - please forgive me if this is a stupid question: can FARR search for text inside files in the way other desktop search programs can?  I use Google Desktop, mainly in my work in a charity, where I find it very useful and I like it, but it really bothers me that it clashes with NOD32, and I'm concerned about the various privacy issues that have been raised around it.  If I could use FARR in its place, I would be a happy man...

nontroppo:
No it can't, though it has been discussed in a limited sense for a possible future version.

mouser:
this is an important point -
FARR does *NOT* search *inside* files.

there has been some discussion about giving FARR a more traditional file search mode that would also let you search inside files, but this has not been implemented yet.

mouser:
i'm thinking of a plug-in system
that would be used to support things like searching firefox bookmarks,
and could also be used to do thing like perhaps piggyback on google desktop or copernic or yahoo or msn desktop search databases and return results from them.

m_s:
Are you aware of Getchoo?  It's at http://alilm.needlemen.com/drupal/, and both nice-looking and quick - it accesses the GDS database slightly differently to GDS, I think, though I can't exactly remember what the difference is.  It's had quite a lot of discussion over at aqua-soft.org.  I would love to see FARR doing something like that - and I'm one of the people who would like it to be skinnable too, or at least to respond to WindowBlinds skinning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version