ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

new launcher just released

<< < (8/12) > >>

mouser:
Have you considered ridding yourself of the titlebar for farr?
--- End quote ---

look in the above list and you'll see a picture without a titlebar -- it's a skin created in fact by a member here on this forum, rbeeger: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7949.0

Armando:
In my opinion the only two options  amadawn mentioned that FARR 2 really “lacks” are the index and the uncontiguous search (but launchy lacks many features that Farr has).

So… An index, yes... and Mouser is well aware of that aspect (might even be using locate's?). But I’m sure Farr wouldn't be as great without also keeping its current search mode.  I’ve used quicksilver and Launchy, and, well, when I rename files — which I do all the time — I want my files to be available now. Not in 20 min, or after I manually reindex my HD.

Uncontiguous search? that would be nice, but I wonder if it really adds that much usability. Maybe.

Oh, and there’s the look thing. For me, if it’s functional, I couldn’t care less about the looks. And I actually like FARR’S look. Not very glamour if you use the windows default, but... Compared to other launchers, with farr I can see more files with more details (except for picture view — but then, I prefer to use something like faststone or something like that)… And I need that level of detail since Farr is also my file explorer for quick navigation.

Anyway, Farr is far from ugly -- the slenderFARR.skn is actually quite sexy -- it’s just not… flashy. But yes, a quicksilver bubbly shiny candy look might attract more people. Won't be using though. My windows still has the 95 looks...

mouser:
we should probably figure out what term we want to use for the kind of non-contiguous/uncontiguous search modes that farr and others use.

Farr v2 now support non-contiguous search.
If you type: f fox OR f f OR fox fire then farr will find firefox, and it will try to be smart about scoring, in that the closer you come to typing the program name with words in the right order, the higher the score, which should help to differentiate near false positives.

What FARR will not do on its own is let you type a string of letters without spaces and match those at different places.  So you can't type: feto find firefox (you could of course very easily with a few clicks add an alias to find any specific program you like with any specific alias keyword).  I'm not sure what that kind of matching should be called (intra-word non-contiguous matching?).  It's possible we could add this one day but i'm reluctant to take the speed hit it would incur.

Armando:
What FARR will not do on its own is let you type a string of letters without spaces and match those at different places.  -mouser (July 25, 2007, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. I thought that was what uncontiguous meant in that context...

Personally, I don't care to much about "type a string of letters without spaces and match those at different places". I'm happy with "f f" (instead of "ff"). I usually type the first syllable of a word anyway. Faster and I don't have to memorize patterns.

Maybe the performance hit wouldn't be too bad IF there was an index? Dunno...

mouser:
An index does speed up search.  Sometimes very significantly, such as when searching in huge folders (the start menu search which is what FARR is used for 99% of the time, wouldn't gain you much).

An index does have some drawbacks, as cited above.  If it's not up to date on recent changes it can miss new stuff, and if it is forced to always be up to date it can result in lots of wasted cpu keeping it updated.  It also means more memory use.

FARR will eventually get indexing added as an optional feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version