ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

new launcher just released

<< < (7/12) > >>

mouser:
Thanks Angel for some very reasonable comments -- critiques like this will always be welcome on this site.

I'm in the middle of working on something right now so i'll reply more in detail later.  Some of these issues have been implemented with version 2, some have not.

jgpaiva:
I think i'll give some help, since mouser is busy right now.

#1:
  index: Yep, no index, and you're right as it needs to be done. Still won't be included in V2, though.
  adaptive search: done ;)
  non-contiguous search: not done (i also find it a bit confusing), but multi-word works (f f would find firefox)

#2:
  better look: I've talked with mouser just yesterday about this. It indeed does make a difference for many people, and it'd probably get more people to use farr, BUT, the time it'd take to change the looks would probably be better spent in improving other parts of farr, at the expense of losing some "costumers" because of the looks.
  Also, farr's looks have been dramaticaly improved with the new "large icons display", even though it still isn't as eye-candy as the competitors.
  IMO, even more important than the looks, are the webpage and the screencasts, which make a huge difference on first contact with farr.

#3:
  simple/advanced mode: done.
  default configurations:
making google searches, opening firefox/explorer bookmarks, finding start menu items, being able to navigate and find the most important system folders (my documents, etc) out of the box should be a priority.
--- End quote ---

yep, all of those work out of the box, although the bookmarks part is done through a plugin, which might not be included in the default package (not sure, as this is mouser's decision).
Another way to solve this problem would be to just carry farr on your usb disk, since farr is fully portable ;)

Also, farr can now work as a calculator, a process killer, a clipboard enhancement, a service starter/stopper, program unninstaller, etc etc etc, all through plugins.

As for the name... I do agree that there could be better names, but i think it's a bit late to be changed.

Thank you for your post, amadawn, it has contributed in 2 ways: to remember what else still needs to be done, and how well farr is now compared to other launchers :)
Quoting mouser on our conversation (i hope he won't get upset ;) ):
<mouser> it IS a very huge leap from v1
<mouser> in fact when i think on v1 now i get sick

--- End quote ---
Maybe you should take a look at farr V2 beta, or wait for its grand launch next week. I think you'll be positivelly surprised :D

mouser:
At some point we should probably have a discussion about ways to improve the looks of FARR.  As someone who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to add skin support for FARR, i'm a hard sell.. I tend to prefer the standard windows interface.

Having said that, here are some screenshots of FARR demonstrating some of the visual options now available in version 2, including custom font settings and large icon mode:

Josh:
Mouser,

Have you considered ridding yourself of the titlebar for farr? Thats one thing I like about all of the other launchers I've seen. They are just the search box, with a results box which pops up after entering text. Perhaps you can A. Rid us of the titlebar area, B. add an option to only show previous results if you want them to show, and C. Clean up the options dialog into a more modern and organized fashion. This would make it more aesthetically pleasing for most of your users. I am willing to design the options dialog if you would be interested, just let me know.

Josh

lanux128:
BUT, the time it'd take to change the looks would probably be better spent in improving other parts of farr, at the expense of losing some "costumers" because of the looks.
--- End quote ---
jgpaiva was spot-on with this point. before the days of plugins in Farr, i was tempted to use Launchy not because of the looks but because there was a plugin for searching Firefox bookmarks. this plugin feature has been implemented in Farr since then and has expanded to several other useful plugins.. and also that Farr allows me tweak more than other launchers is another appeal, this is my personal opinion, of course.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version