ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

new launcher just released

<< < (5/12) > >>

mouser:
Thanks cnewtonne, that cheers me up -- i always feel strange when i see another FARR "competitor" out there, like why am i breaking my back if someone else is getting paid well to do similar work.

I think much of what you say is really true -- much of software is designed for the lowest common denominator, and the power users experience can suffer.  I try to listen to the power users most of all, since those are the people that interact with me here.

But of course I know you agree that doesn't mean there isn't stuff to learn from these smooth operators, and try to make the user interface experience as painless and natural for everyone.  There is always lots to learn from other programs.

Seriously though, thank you for those words of support -- I needed to hear that people still want FARR :)

Grorgy:
We sure do mouser, i wouldnt call myself a poweruser at all and I pretty much use it as a basic program launcher at the moment, though I am learning and what i particularly like is that as my knowledge grows the program can support that and i can do more with it, at the same time, it works  'out of the box' for me as well (and the price is right  :) )

nitrix-ud:
Seriously though, thank you for those words of support -- I needed to hear that people still want FARR
--- End quote ---

of course we still want FARR  :D it is the best launcher !

Therefore, it lacked the user interface and got so technically bloated, IMH, with features some of which is repelling for users e.g. RegExp aliases
--- End quote ---
i'm not sure RegExp aliases are repelling, what they can do is really of use even for regular users... but it's true that how it is being set up is quite complex...

There is always lots to learn from other programs.
--- End quote ---
yes, mouser, it will only make FARR better

Cheer up !
FARR is still the best  :Thmbsup:

yksyks:
I second all this. Regardless of how the interface is attractive, the functionality is what counts. Besides, I'm quite happy with Windows UI design, as far as I'm concerned, no need for skinning. I prefer consistent look of the applications.

Having written this I have just one comment to FARR interface, though. Somebody mentioned this already I suppose, but I'm strongly missing the Cleartype in both FARR results windows and its options. (It appears only on Options menu bar.) Could that be fixed?

Thanks a lot for all your invaluable work!

Edit: changing the fonts to some TrueType/OpenType fixes this in most places, so just the columns headings and Options dialog remain. Shouldn't the system default font be used here? That would be enough.

allen:
 Thanks cnewtonne, that cheers me up -- i always feel strange when i see another FARR "competitor" out there, like why am i breaking my back if someone else is getting paid well to do similar work.-mouser (July 19, 2007, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I feel a little funny, I guess for you, seeing other "competitors" posted here too :)  Screenshots of apps like Dash make me grimmace, though--Apple-esque appearance not withstanding, I just cannot imagine all that candy can be as lightweight as FARR.  As aforementioned, the regex aliases are killer--and the wealth of capabilities available in FARR in you're willing to put a bit of effort into configuring it are most rewarding.

Think of the competitors as a blessing--they can skim off the "lower denominators" who'll be more at home with a pretty, simple application.  Otherwise, they'd end up eating up hours of your time requiring you hold their hand through setting it up and using it -- hours you could be using to work on the software itself. :D

FARR's what first introduced me to DC and one of the most used apps on my PC.  Went to use my wife's computer the other day and spent several minutes sure her computer was broken--alt+space did nothing, the catalyst which every application on a computer system relies upon was not present, nothing worked!  She did have something on there called a "start menu", but I am not one for fumbling with ancient technology that may or may not be booby trapped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version