ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TechSmith release Jing (free at the moment)

<< < (2/4) > >>

justice:
No I can't test it out ('cos I can't get it to run on my system)
-Carol Haynes (July 18, 2007, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I received an e-mail back:
justice,

I think the error you've reported was fixed with our 1.2.4 release.
There was a bug that was causing us to crash on startup if your date
format was set to something besides US/English.

If you're willing to give it another try, you can download our new
version at:
http://www.jingproject.com

If that doesn't fix the problem, please let me know and hopefully we can
work through it.

Michael Malinak
Jing Lead Developer
TechSmith Corporation
--- End quote ---

justice:
Seems to work alright!  :D
http://www.screencast.com/t/FaDYCrGd

mouser:
Pretty cool that you are getting an email back from the lead developer -- good sign.

mouser:
one thing that's kind of funny though is how they are hyping it as a new technology:

"Fun Visual Conversation Technology" = A screenshot program with a button to upload an image to an image uploading site.

Anyone who has installed a context menu extension to upload images to their flickr or other image uploading sites basically has this already, thought it might take 1 extra mouse click..  still seems nice and nice that it's cross platform and free (for now?)

justice:
I think it's mor of an exercise of making their Camtasia technology more accessible to the masses. It's not just screenshots, you can share video's as well. They're just trying to make camtasia effortless and fun by remove the editing and encoding options steps, and focus on quick sharing of motion/stills of your screen using their website. Jing's probably testing the waters for them to see if there's a market for it.

If you own camtasia you have the technology already and can use it with finer detail, however for the moment this is free (they state clearly on their frontpage: The project will eventually turn into something else) and after a couple of captures to me it could be useful as quick annotations too.

So basically, fun and easy, but does it have enough staying power both on my system and in availability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version