topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: K-Meleon listed as one of top browsers...  (Read 6969 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
K-Meleon listed as one of top browsers...
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:57 AM »
I ran across this while reading something another DC member sent me...

http://www.techsuppo...free_utilities.htm#1

"Last but not least is the K-Meleon browser [6], a slimmed down cousin of Firefox that's optimized for Windows. Of the four browsers I use regularly on my different PCs, K-Meleon is the quickest loading and along with Opera, the fastest for surfing. On the downside there are only a limited number of add-ons and plug-ins available so you are pretty well limited to the features available in the standard product.  If you are the type of person who prefers performance to bells and whistles you should definitely try K-Meleon."

I was moderately surprised- I use K-Meleon and know how good it is, but didn't expect it to be on a list of the top browsers!

alxwz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: K-Meleon listed as one of top browsers...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:17 AM »
I still use a slightly older version (1.02) of K-Meleon, and it's easily the most crash-prone of all my browsers on different platforms.

And while its bookmark handling is quite flexible in some ways (works with IE favorites, Firefox bookmarks and claims to work with Opera's hotlist, but ruined my hotlist file when I tried it), it's cumbersome in other respects (like adding new bookmarks).

From what I've seen in the past, the developer community seems to be very small and ever-changing. There have also been longer periods where it almost seemed abandoned.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:05 AM »
It is good if you can deal with the unusual GUI, as it is fast and seems to work fine for me, but I wasn't aware of the ever-changing developer setup... :huh:
And I don't use bookmarks, so I can't comment on that.

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:35 AM »
The new Snailware site (mentioned in another thread here) did a write-up on this as a good alternative for older, slower computers. I'm going to see if I can get it to run on my mother-in-law's old Win95 Pentium-1 box.

Currently, she's using Off By One (http://www.offbyone.com) which is very small and fast but only does HTML3.2 and has some other major limitations.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:33 PM »
To alxwz

>I still use a slightly older version (1.02) of K-Meleon, and it's easily the most crash-prone of all my browsers on different platforms<
---
Then you must try the latest version 1.1 - its much better than 1.02. 
OR try K-Ninja 2.1.4.2 : http://geocities.com/grenleef/

>And while its bookmark handling is quite flexible in some ways (works with IE favorites, Firefox bookmarks and claims to work with Opera's hotlist, but ruined my hotlist file when I tried it), it's cumbersome in other respects (like adding new bookmarks). <
---
For bookmarks Ctrl-D adds a new link, If using IE Favorites / Opera Hotlist you need to click Add page menu or use a macro to do it. You can ask in K_Meleon forum for tips as many helpful guys are there. I use Powermarks so this is not an issue for me. 

>From what I've seen in the past, the developer community seems to be very small and ever-changing. There have also been longer periods where it almost seemed abandoned.<
---
That is not true since last 1 year. There is one main developer: Dorian B , and a sincere &  devoted team of helpers, so it is NOT abandoned AFAIK .
I use K-Melon 1.1 daily.  IMO only Seamonkey 1.1.3 comes close followed by Opera 9.22.     K-Meleon IS the fastest browser on Windows

SKA

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:42 AM »
i use kmeleon quite a lot, its my mozilla compatible browser of choice, for when sites refuse to work properly on opera

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:21 PM »
i use kmeleon quite a lot, its my mozilla compatible browser of choice, for when sites refuse to work properly on opera

There are no sites incompatible with Opera, that's your imagination ;D