topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 5:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Crazy and probably not feasible idea: DCUpdate swarming.  (Read 6749 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The bandwidth of downloads via DCUpdate may not add up to much and im not sure how you are sitting on the bandwidth front.  Would it be feasible to add swarming capability to DCUpdate and some of us can enable "seeding" mode so we can help out in serving your updates?  I think the bittorrent protocol is pretty well documented.  I know I would be willing to seed updates.  In this case, the program would automatically download and save the updates and immediately seed even if I haven't installed it.  Possibly add the option to automatically silent install updates and run the new version.

I am just babbling here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Crazy and probably not feasible idea: DCUpdate swarming.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:04 PM »
it's not a terrible idea, but my understanding is that the download bandwidth on dc is really not a problem, so it would really be a matter of solving a problem that doesn't exist, while adding a lot of extra coding..  it's not a bad idea in general though, and it could be something to think about for some software if dcupdate is to become more general.

for example the remote update file on the server might simply point dcupdater to a torrent or file checksum which dcupdater could then launch in an external tool.  so dcupdate would detect a new version, alert user, and then initiate a download of the new version via an established torrent tool.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:29 PM »
for example the remote update file on the server might simply point dcupdater to a torrent or file checksum which dcupdater could then launch in an external tool.  so dcupdate would detect a new version, alert user, and then initiate a download of the new version via an established torrent tool.

Hey, I like your idea better.  Why reinvent the wheel if it isn't necessary.  The only problem being, it is nice to be able to execute the updates via dcupdater. I'm lazy that way.  I guess we all have to make sacrifices.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:20 AM »
I don't think swarming is something that should be implemented in the dcUpdater - but it's not a bad idea for other types of updaters. Like, blizzard uses it for it's WOW patches... too bad blizzards torrent client is retarded, so you're much better off extracting the .torrent and grabbing it with µTorrent or something :)
- carpe noctem