ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

imaging & partitioning queries

<< < (8/8)

Darwin:
urlwolf - TWO 160GB drives in a notebook? I'm swooning with envy. You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but what's the brand and model of the notebook? I'm being SERIOUSLY by a sale at the moment and would like to compare specs/look for what you've got!

Ta.

Armando:
I used that [sorry! EDIT: Parted Magic] for the partitioning
with the help of this tutorial
it was very easy
-tomos (August 23, 2007, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the feedback tomos! It's good to know.
Good luck with the other part of the process... It shouldn't be that hard, really. It should be as easy.

tomos:
I used that [sorry! EDIT: Parted Magic] for the partitioning
with the help of this tutorial
it was very easy
-tomos (August 23, 2007, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the feedback tomos! It's good to know.
Good luck with the other part of the process... It shouldn't be that hard, really. It should be as easy.
-Armando (August 23, 2007, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll frame that & put it on the wall... hah microsoft, grumble grumble
(plan to make a post about it but prob in new thread..)
Actually I did manage to install XP ok eventually - so I happy enough  :)

PhilB66:
Could someone explain the difference between HD cloning and imaging software and what's considered better for backing up the HD. Thanks

Carol Haynes:
Cloning = 2 hard discs in your machine => one is copied to the other so you have 2 identical disks

Imaging = Save a copy of your disk partitions (or multiple partitions) into an image file (or set of files) which could be on another partition or burned to CDs/DVDs etc. The image can be restored to the hard disc to restore the condition of the disk at the time of creating the image. Some imaging software allows you to update the image with changes since the last backup - that way you can keep one large image of the partitions + 'incremental' bits of the image as separate files - you can then restore your system to any of the times at which you made a backup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version