ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

imaging & partitioning queries

<< < (6/8) > >>

urlwolf:
Tomos,
Can you post any links on the _advantages_ (speed?) of having the pagefile on a different partition?
Actually, now that I have a laptops with two 160Gb HDs (Yay!), I may think carefully about how  to place things so I get the best reading speed possible.

Right now, I have:
disk 1:
C: -OS- 40gb.
G:(should be E: for compatibility with my older laptop) data: 109gb

disk 2:
D: music 148Gb

Of course, data will be accessed more often than music. Maybe I should place that partition at the beginning of disk 2.

Any other recommendations? Should I create a  pagefile partition on disk 2?

Thanks

Carol Haynes:
Page file should be on Disc 2 - preferably the first partition on the disc (the fastest area of the disc). You could use a partition manager to resize D: and move it up to make space (probably worth backing up first though).

tomos:
Tomos,
Can you post any links on the _advantages_ (speed?) of having the pagefile on a different partition?
Should I create a  pagefile partition on disk 2?-urlwolf (August 19, 2007, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Carol answaers that one  :)
Page file should be on Disc 2 - preferably the first partition on the disc (the fastest area of the disc)-Carol Haynes (August 19, 2007, 07:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
see also the ms links above
ms recommends having a 128MB minimum pagefile on C partition as well as the bigger one on second drive/seperate partition

have a read here as well urlwolf
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8761.msg71663#msg71663

Carol Haynes:
Depends whether you actually use Windows Memory Dump for debugging - given that no one seems to offer any support out there (unless you are extremely rich) and the data dumped is cryptic in the extreme I have never seen much point in enabling this feature.

tomos:
you're a mine of information Carol -
I always try to err on the side of whatever-it's-called when I dont know.
 :)
makes life easier just to have one (paging file)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version