topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wow! Goodbye SnagIt  (Read 7012 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow! Goodbye SnagIt
« on: July 15, 2007, 02:19 PM »
I never bothered to download this application because I already have a license for SnagIt, the screen capture program that seems to hold almost every online award available. However SnagIt has had a number of problems ever since the 7.2 release, I think.

First they changed the installer package that they use, from Installshield to Microsoft Installer 3, and they did it rather poorly.  Errors in their installer package that centered around the Windows SxS DLLs sent a lot of Windows PCs spinning, including mine! Once you have installed a program with a faulty installer package like that you get errors that are almost impossible to fix until the developer rebuilds their installer package to correct the errors -- or reinstall the OS. TechSmith didn't acknowledge this FUBAR for about six months, leaving a lot of users hurting.

Next, they reworked the program to comply with Microsoft Logo Certification, and to get ready for the Vista release. And SnagIt has never been the same -- at least for me. One issue is capturing cascading menus -- very simply, it doesn't work anymore in snagIt in most cases. Occasionally I can get it to work almost by accident, but never when I really need it.

I needed it for the last few days.  I purchased True Launch Bar using the Donation Coder discount and installed it. Everything seemed fine until I restarted -- and TLB did not. When I started it again, my configuration was gone and I had to start again. After that it would start with Windows, but it did not have everything that I configured.  It loses the separators and will not retain the order I set up. I wrote to their support group and they asked me for a screen capture of my TLB -- which meant capturing the cascading menu, of course!  I tried with SnagIt for three days: an hour or two until I'd get too frustrated to deal with it anymore for a day. Then I'd try again, only to get more of the same.  (Disappointment, that is...)

Finally today I had an "Aha" moment and remembered Mouser's Screenshot Captor.  Downloaded and installed it, and while I still have a LOT of configuration to do, the simple fact is that I had the screen cap of the cascading True Launch Bar about 2 minutes after I installed it. That fast with nothing set up and customized yet!

I just wanted to shout out what happened to you all, and to thank Mouser for this program  (Another donation coming!!)

There is literally no end to my amazement at the programs I have found on Donation Coder.   :D :D :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wow! Goodbye SnagIt
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:29 PM »
:) :) :) :) :)

ps.
once the release of FARR v2 is done this month, i hope to get back to adding some more features to Screenshot Captor!

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Roll on next month...

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 01:06 PM »
I agree, though I do still keep SnagIt because it's much better at identifying individual objects, and objects within objects (buttons, toolbar with buttons, pane with toolbar with buttons) than SSC.

Its profiles are pretty good too.

And it does .avi recording, though admittedly it's not exactly tricky to find freeware that's just as good.

But it's still SSC in Startup and SnagIt in the QuickLaunch  :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:36 AM »
That's pretty much how I have it setup now, Katy.

But to be honest, I haven't opened SnagIt since installing Screenshot Captor!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:49 PM »
Regarding the headline, "Goodbye SnagIt": it is no longer possible to download SnagIt. It literally is gone for ever! Read the full story about Snagit at TechSmith's.

snagit.jpg

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:55 AM »
How lame :)

"The capital I is too confusing", jeez. So, is this in reality another case of changing the product name in order to change license scheme?
- carpe noctem