ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Changing Location of My Documents/Music/etc. in Windows XP

(1/5) > >>

mitzevo:
Hello,

I know that you can change the My Documents (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents by default) location in WinXP via the registry (either manually or by using a tool such as TweakUI XP, etc.)

And you could also use a junction in place of the standard My Documents folder that points to your new location..

I wanted to know what would be the best way of changing the default location for My Documents, My Music, etc.

What it be best to just change the locations via the registry? Or would it be better to use junctions? Would using junctions be too much for such a simple thing? Does using one or the other effect any programs seeking those special folders?

ruadrift:
start->my docs->rt click->properties

mouser:
my memory is you can simply drag and move these folders from windows explorer to somewhere else, and windows will realize what you are doing and accept the new locations.

mitzevo:
Thanks guys for your fast input.. but I know about the standard ways you can do it..

But I was thinking along the lines of.. would it be more efficient to use a junction? or just use the normal way to change paths..

Actually I think it's ok to use a junction (folder that points to another folder, but acts as that folder), but then again, it might be overkill for such a small change? idk.

tinjaw:
You can do that easily with TweakUI.

[attach=#1][/attach]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version