topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [bug] v2.00.130 start farr via alias hotkey does not execute alias  (Read 6701 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have assigned a hotkey to my fav alias to launch farr with it. This works fine, however it comes up with the Alias name as the start of the command, not the regex pattern.

So now whatever i type is not executed because it doesn't start with the regex pattern.
Try this alias:
1000>>>Feeling Lucky>->Google - $$1 | http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=$$1&btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky /ICON=icons\google.ico>+>^!(.*)>/>24762
I have to type !<some query> for it to work, however using the hotkey farr comes up with "feeling lucky <cursor>" instead, which is not recognised. BTW this alias also still does not come up with an icon, which is a bug in the other thread in case you missed it.

Keep it up.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:23 PM by justice »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well... I know it doesn't make much sense, but you can always call that alias "!" ;)
The thing is: a regex pattern can't be filled out, as it can correspond to a lot of text.
For example: how should a pattern like ^([0-9]*)hello[a-z]*$ be filled out? That could represent 0089123helloaasdfasds or just hello or something else.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For example: how should a pattern like ^([0-9]*)hello[a-z]*$ be filled out? That could represent 0089123helloaasdfasds or just hello or something else.

that's why i once suggested that there could be a other text box near the regex pattern box to tell FARR what to autocomplete... (it would be up to the user)

for the moment I just name the alias like the regex mask (i'm talking about the simple ones ;)) like jgpaiva suggested

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
right thanks peeps

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I hesitate to add this because i think it's going to get so little use, BUT i could add a field to each alias where you can specify a kind of "default text string" that would be used if triggered via a hotkey or selected from the agroups "menu".  thoughts?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
no that's not needed. could you detect if the regex starts with static text instead of the variable text and then allow calling the static text?

For example if i had a regex alias starting wtih "loc ^(.)" then if farr could know it always started with "loc " then that would solve the problem. Honestly though if it's a lot of work then don't bother because it's probably not very important.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah i thought of that solution justice..
here is what i came up with however that might be better:

what if i removed the hotkey settings from aliases, and made hotkeys a separate tab, where you just basically configure hotkey + text pairs.  hit a hotkey and it pops up farr and starts searching for the text.

seems more sensible to me and easier to keep track of and manage your hotkeys too..

thoughts?

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is just perfect i think...

It would be even more perfect if :
  • we could add a space at the end ;) (like the restartsearch command)
  • we could add an {Enter} command at the end (somehow it would allow commands to hotkeys...)

related to my post concerning the "clipboard trick", if one could add an {Enter} command, you could then assign an hotkey to paste the clipboard content in the search box

hotkey1 <---> clip{Enter}

imagine you create the following "fcc" alias
^fcc$
$$c | restartsearch fc $$c

then you could create this pair :
hotkey2 <---> fcc{Enter}

just select an mathematical expression... press hotkey2 ... FCalc gives you the result

it would be even more perfect  :D if we could add the special variable $$c, we would just have to do :
hotkey2 <---> fc $$c{Enter}

Nitrix

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
maybe the best solution is to be able to assign hotkeys to a restartsearch commands it would allow anything...

• any text... even with space at the end thanks to the new /s variable
  • any text with special variables...$$c

and if you add features they would be available right away...

thoughts ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a whole new wonderful hotkey system is coming in the next release..
no more hotkeys associated with aliases.. now all hotkeys (main ones for showing farr), and helper ones for starting searches, will be unified, and you'll be able to create as many hotkeys as you want to do different searches and alter the way farr shows on they keypress.

farrhotkeys.png

i also note that josh will finally get his ability to use Win-key for FARR hotkey.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoa...... Now that's impressive!
And all that on one night? Man, you're incredible :D

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MouserPower to the rescue!

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds great !  :D

I hope we will be able to have that kind of "search string"
fc $$c{Enter}

that is using the dynamic variable $$c
and an "Enter command"...

it would really be powerful... with the correct settings :
just select an mathematical expression, press the hotkey
that's it you have the result in the clipboard !

whouah, that would be awesome !