ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the best LINUX software?

(1/4) > >>

KenR:
Hi DC gang. I have a question for the Linux users ...

For those of you who have "taken the plunge" or are familiar with Linux software, what is your favorite or the "known best" Linux software?

Thanks, Ken

Laughing Man:
Haha that's hard to say.. though I have to say the best software are the windows managers Beryl (well now that it's reorganized) Compiz Fusion. It's helped me so much.

wreckedcarzz:
I would have to say that, both on Linux and Windows, I find Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin and especially OpenOffice.org to be the programs that are the most handy. They work well on both platforms and are very reliable. I use all 4 almost every day.

jgpaiva:
best linux software ever :)

Other than that... Opera (which doesn't feel quite right under linux, though), firefox (which i usually use on linux, although i prefer opera on windows). There's also a jukebox which is pretty good, but i can't recall its name.

zridling:
In my very limited experience, here's a few I've found so far:

— Codeweavers CrossOver Linux Pro (many use WINE)
— XnView
— OpenOffice
— k3b (DVD/CD burning app)
— RAR for Linux
— Gimp Image Editor

You might also add the BASH shell and Samba (networking included on all distros to share file and print services with Windows). Something I'm going to write about this week is the software management model for GNU/Linux. In many ways similar to Windows, you have an overwhelming number of choices with software, and thus the need to answer Ken's question: Which apps are best? There's the rub.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version