topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Where is the Visual Basic Express Compiler located?  (Read 10995 times)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Where is the Visual Basic Express Compiler located?
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Hi everyone

I have taken a bit of a break from SkyIDE but I am getting back into it.

I just installed VisualBasic Express edition. I am having trouble locating the VisualBasic Express compiler. Where abouts is the VisualBasic Express compiler located? Do not confuse this with VB.NET's vbc.exe. This is VisualBasic Express, part of the Visual Studio Express package.

The Visual C++ Express compiler is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin, file name cl.exe however in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VB\bin there aren't any compilers.

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where is the Visual Basic Express Compiler located?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Are you sure VBC.exe is wrong? AFAIK is the compiler the same in all VS-Editions only the IDE differs. Maybe you could trace it by using "Process Explorer"?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:59 AM »
For me it's in:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\vbc.exe

But this is from an install of VS 2005 Pro, which installs the .NET Framework SDK before installing the IDE.  The vbc and csc compilers come from the SDK installs.  I'm not sure if the Express versions do the same or not (but I suspect they do). 

If it's really not on your machine, you can get it for sure by downloading the .NET Framework SDK from:

http://www.microsoft...c&displaylang=en

Actually, I think vbc.exe and csc.exe are installed with the .NET Framework Runtime - you probably don't need the full SDK.  If that's correct, then vbc.exe must certainly be on your machine somewhere.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:17 AM »
I hope you have downlaoded it from this resource.

http://msdn.microsof...dio/express/visualc/

If you unable to get it from the exe mentioned above then try your hands at:this SDK.

http://www.microsoft...3&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Thanks guys,

Yes, SkyIDE supports VB.NET's VBC.EXE but someone requested if I can also add support for VB Express just like I did for VC++ Express. VBC.EXE is installed by the .NET framework as you have already mentioned and I have implemented support for it already. I am not sure if VB Express is using the same one but yes, I will check things out with a process explorer. Thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:16 AM by SkyIDE »