ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

old software + dual core = ???

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
There's a few things that cause problems with apps on multicore - and that's basically programs that are timing-sensitive and written in a bad way. This includes just about all games based on the Unreal game engine.

Btw this only affects AMD dualcore CPUs, not the ones from intel... and can usually be fixed, anyway, by limiting CPU affinity so the app only runs one a single core.

lanux128:
if you are into gaming, it may be necessary to install the AMD Dual-Core optimizer so that games don't crash. :Thmbsup:

here's what AMD says about the patch..
The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.• http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe

f0dder:
Sounds like an ugly workaround >_< - if your incompatible and rdtsc-using apps/games aren't mulithtreaded (and most won't be), just use a tool to limit affinity to one core...

wreckedcarzz:
I have a dual-core "family" PC that I bought with my dad recently and I am not happy with it. Just my personal opinion, based mainly on the lower GHz and that most apps still don't take advantage of it. I have a Celeron D 3.5Ghz (single core) in my personal desktop and it works perfectly. Fast and no problems.
Just my opinion.
-Brandon

f0dder:
I'm very happy about my dualcore AMD, definitely a step up from single core. I did choose a dualcore with the same per-core GHz rating as my old singlecore, which meant going from a 3500+ to a 4400+...

But I'd rather have a dualcore somewhat-slower-per-core system than a single-core super-fast system. Multitasking is just so much smoother, especially with heavy stuff running in the background. Loving it  :-*

Celeron? Ewww, handicapped cache :( (but cheap - we do like that).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version