topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free alternative to Dreamweaver/Expression Web  (Read 6005 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free alternative to Dreamweaver/Expression Web
« on: April 29, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Know of any? Post them here. I've heard of NVU earlier today, but that is OLD. Last time it was updated was in 2005, so no thanks.

I currently use IDM's UltraEdit but it's page preview doesn't work correctly, (doesn't show any images? or perhaps it's a setting I need to turn on?), and its automatic indentation when editing isn't ideal either, unless again it's a setting I'm missing. So the way I use it is the oldschool way, which I don't much mind, honestly, but I must admit I'm curious as to what's out there in terms of free webdev packages. I code something up in UE, then hit the "view in default browser button", and repeat. Works well enough :)

Thanks in advance :)
<SMALL>--
www.opera.com/ -- As good as it gets in browser-land ;)
http://last.fm -- Fuel the music revolution!
www.pando.com/ -- Personal file sharing made ridiculously easy.
www.trillianastra.com/ -- The next Trillian!</SMALL>

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free alternative to Dreamweaver/Expression Web
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Well, there's KompoZer http://kompozer.net/ which is touted as an unofficial bugfix release of NVU.

There appears to be some bad blood between the NVU developer and the KompoZer developer.

no, Kompozer's lead never let me know about it. I just found a post in nvu forums hosted by geckozone he did but he never had the politeness to let me know about it. Since I am busy and rarely dive into fora - whatever the forum - I was not aware of Kompozer. But the guy is not far away, here in France, and we speak the same language. How hard, and well, sorry to say, how lame.
No, I don't think the guy contacted the copyright holder, Linspire Inc., either and that's quite unpolite too even if he has the full right granted by the license to do what he did.
no, I don't really appreciate when he calls Nvu bugs "glazbugs". I take that as an insult.
yes, his work is a good idea, but no, I don't think this is going to be a very useful mid- to long-term investment since the nvu 1.0 codebase is scheduled to die and be replaced by a xulrunner-based application anyway. It's gecko1.7-based and that's too old.
yes, I am working on that new app
Source: http://www.glazman.o.../09/15/2074-kompozer

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:27 AM »
Thanks for including that. Makes it very easy not to even click on the Kompozer link. I'll wait for the new stuff the NVU guy has in the pipeline.. until then, I think I'll be perfectly happy coding away in UE + testing in Opera :)

Thanks

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:51 PM »
Did you check out HTMLKit? A ton of plugins as well for that..  :Thmbsup:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:48 PM »
Did you check out HTMLKit? A ton of plugins as well for that..  :Thmbsup:
I did not, but I will! Thanks.
I grabbed MS' Expression Web off the web but have not even had a chance to install it yet. Quite honestly, I'd rather work on my raw XHTML/CSS skills before diving into a whole web content creation suite. Still, it's nice to poke around and see what's out there.

I'm almost done with my Head Rush XHMLT and CSS book :). Can't wait. Ordering Head Rush AJAX after that.