topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to Slow down "notification area"?  (Read 4474 times)

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to Slow down "notification area"?
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:50 PM »
If I have the right nomenclature, the "notification area", is that rightmost section of the taskbar, which holds the clock and displays Icons of running programs.  If you click on the left arrow "<" you can see all the Icons, including the ones which are normally hidden.  My problem:  The display switches back to display only the unhidden programs before I can scan, process,  select and click on an icon.  Does anyone know how to slow this transition down?  Though I'd prefer a programmed approach, I'm willing and able to tweak the registry if needed, I just don't know the appropriate keys or values to edit.

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck Brotman

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to Slow down "notification area"?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:53 PM »
I'm sorry, but i fail to understand why you'd need such thing.
Why not just remove those at all, or use a tray manager to keep the icons you like always showing?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Not to mention that as long as you keep the cursor over the system tray, the icons will not hide

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 03:45 PM »
I'm sorry, but i fail to understand why you'd need such thing.
Why not just remove those at all, or use a tray manager to keep the icons you like always showing?

I like using the notification area, but I prefer limiting the number of icons which are always visable. I have a problem with the hand-eye coordination needed to select an Icon before they go away...  :(

A tray manager sounds in tersesting. can you recommend one?  :tellme:

Not to mention that as long as you keep the cursor over the system tray, the icons will not hide

Doh!!! You're absolutely right!  :Thmbsup:  I didn't realize that! I think what I've been doing is moving the cursor "out of the way so that I can better see thew icons, thus forcing the switch back. I say again: "doh!"   :-[
Chuck
Chuck Brotman

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:17 PM »
This thread may shed some light on tray manager.

Basically, a tray manager is used to keep the icons you'd like to see always visible and the ones you don't like, hidden.
Also notice that windows XP already does this, you can configure this, the main difference is that tray managers to this much better and some of them give you a menu with all the icons and their names (which would make it easier to choose one).

Here's how to configure the icons on your tray:
-Right-click your taskbar and select "properties".
-A new window comes up. Select "custumize", next to "hide inactive icons"
-A new window comes up. There, you can select which icons you'd like to "hide when inactive", "always show" or "always hide" ;)

If you'd like to always show all icons, on the step where you pressed "custumize", don't press that, just untick that box "hide inactive icons" and press OK :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:07 PM »
While you're at it, brotman, you may want to check out PS Tray Factory

pstray2.png